Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
I have been satisfied with a minimum of Ham equipment to date, basically a very capable 2m/70cm handheld, (D74a)........however....2m/70cm has its limitations without a nearby repeater. Also, I've been exploring Winlink for Ham to email/text. If this recent unrest turns into the Zombie Apocalypse o_O it will be nice to have email/text if our communication grid goes down.

So I think I'll graduate to HF, Icom 7100 with Icom's remote software. The SDR software not only allows remote operation of the 7100 from a PC, laptop and over the Internet if available but also provides full control, a very modern color display on a computer screen as well as a waterfall display. The software allows visual frequency sweeps to see activity, saving time.
Why Icom? My preference, I like DStar and Icom build quality. Rugged and reliable. Also, Icom's work well with WinLink. My friend is a developer for Winlink and maintains a Winlink station. (My Elmer)

That said a whole new layer of equipment (typical) is "needed". Since the Icom 7100 is so capable I'll be constructing antennas for many different frequencies in the field . Probably 6m, 10m and 20m for the day, 40m for night, when conditions are right. This allows the flexibility needed for communication anytime it is needed. No shortage of clean 12v power in the RV.

I've been putting off getting an antenna analyzer (a$20 SWR meter works fine at 3-5w) but now I am considering a RigExpert either a AA600 or AA230 Zoom. Thoughts?

The difference between the two in my eyes is working with 70cm. I can build a simple 2m/70cm mobile antenna with a backer and a couple of stainless wires, pack it in the RV, and get away with a $20 SWR meter to verify the antenna when I need that frequency. Then the AA600 is not necessary or what am I missing?

Use the Rig Expert 230 zoom for the HF work, 2m and save $200. Is this false economy??

Many people like the FMJ 289. It is analog, lacks computer interface, basic display is a power hog, and generally old tech in my eyes. Some prefer the old school look and feel. Not my preference.

Other stuff: For my purposes I'll get a cheap tripod, possibly a ground pole mount, various stakes, spool of wire and paracord, and telescoping fiberglass rod to get some distance off the ground. All ready for mobile operations.?

Thoughts?

Made in the Ukraine.

And an automatic tuner for those times that perfect is not available

Your thoughts are appreciated

Last edited:
For those that are interested in Mobile HF here is an interesting video by Eric, a local Ham operator and his van with a Tarheel antenna. This is the setup I am considering but the antenna, while it works very well, is a bit spendy...

As I work through the numbers and desired features I am now leaning towards a IC 7300. Built in tuner, LED Screen, waterfall display, filters, tuning and many other features. The only concern is durability. The IC 7100 is a rugged radio designed for mobile operations.
The IC 7300 is a SDR with a LED screen. Not sure about the durability of the CB in a IC 7300. I have seen both radios used for outdoor events.
Dollar for Dollar the designed features of a IC7300, if you want these features, is a better deal in my opinion. The only downside is no 2m/70cm bands.
Also, packaging, the IC 7300 is one box. Power, antenna wires and your on the air.
Couple the IC 7300 with the Chameleon MPA 2.0 and your setup is complete.

Update: According to GIGAParts.com, Zach, the IC 7300 travels well, vibration should not be an issue. Good news.

Last edited:
Here is a sample of a RV setup for those interested

New addition to the Mobile Ham 2M tool box. Purchased a 2M collapsible J-Pole and use the extendable fiberglass pole from my cleaning kit, add a lawn turf flag pole bracket, not shown, and there it is, an easily transportable and very effective 2M antenna that can easily handle legal power or more. With my 5W HT D74a I can easily hit towers 30-40 miles away from my courtyard.
IMG_5107.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Ham and need all in the same conversation. I think better a RV dark web is in order.

Here is an interesting discussion from an RV owner about the Raspberry Pi interface with ICOM radios. The Pi gives you access to many digital HAM features as well as computer control of your radio, locally and over the internet if you need/want that feature.

Finalizing my Ham setup for mobile operations.
Radio: Icom IC7100
Antenna: for 2m copper J-Pole, and HF Chameleon MPAS 2.0
LDG: IT-100 tuner. Typically tune antenna to be resonate but Just in case a tuner is needed.

This setup is very mobile and is able to operate on most any Ham band in use today.

Latest resources

Back