Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Rand McNally apparently is no longer supporting RV Maps. So the "LifeTime" map updates has expired. While I have a basic understanding of business and economics as was taught in Grad school many years ago, it is prudent to remember these basic points.

The term LifeTime is defined by the person or entity offering a LifeTime service. It is probably not what you understand as LifeTime. The OEM GPS installed in my three model year old RV is quickly becoming obsolete. While it has never been what I call easy to use, once you learn to work around its many flaws, it can be very useful.

Here is a tip off that LifeTime is limited to the OEM prerogative:

"Terms and Conditions​

The Map Updates feature provides for map data to be updated when available, for the useful life of the device originally purchased with this feature. A product’s “useful life” is defined as the period during which the product 1) has sufficient memory and technical capabilities to accept updated map data and features, 2) can be operated without major defects or needed repairs. Additionally, Rand McNally will not make updates available for any product that Rand McNally, in its discretion, has designated “end of life,” which designation may occur at any time after the 36-month anniversary of the launch of the applicable product model. (emphasis added)

Map updates are not transferrable to another person or another Rand McNally product. Map updates provided by the feature apply only to the same geographic map data as originally included on the specific Rand McNally device at time of original purchase.

Device owners are required to register their device in order to be eligible for Map Updates.

Rand McNally may modify these terms and conditions from time to time in respect to Map Updates for previously issued products."

Lifetime usually means until we get tired of giving it away for free. :ROFLMAO:

Another clue...is it electronic? Lifetime is drastically less than what you think.

Brings to mind when Chevrolet and BMW got together years back on using a certain automatic transmission in a Corvette and one high end BMW model. They informed everyone in no uncertain terms that the transmission fluid in the things was "lifetime" and never needed to be changed. Plus if the fluid had to be replaced due to repair or something, the only fluid allowed was some special European stuff that would run around $800 to refill with and had to be special ordered as no one in the US stocked it. Leading transmission repair people to wonder that if we had "lifetime" transmission fluid, where were the matching "lifetime" transmissions then? Also there was some wondering about what kind of magical unicorn pee exactly was this special fluid made from?

These days it has been allowed as how "lifetime" in this particular case was actually ten years. Also the nice Dexron VI fluid used in almost everything else GM makes actually kinda sorta actually works pretty darn well in for this application too. And is available at EVERY parts store.

So if you read between the lines here, someone has decided that the functional life of a new Corvette is expected to be about ten years. Pretty sure there are a large number of Corvette owners out there who would beg to disagree.

There is nothing that pi%%e% me off more than having a late model vehicle and finding out that I have to pay to update the mapping. I have two TomTom GPS units, one of which is probably 4 years old. I update these for free at least twice a year. I never stuck with my GPS built in to my Ventana when we had it because it was garbage.

I feel the OPs pain for sure.

Lifetime warranties on products or goods and services are just like the human lifetime. When one is dead, that's the end of life and likewise, the end of the lifetime warranty. Thus as long as it is good and is working, it is in-warranty. When it dies, so does the warranty. Lifetime warranties are a joke! A valid warranty will have a specified time period of days, or months, or years.

According to another post on a different forum, one more free map update will be offered 1st qtr 22 followed by updates for a fee in the future. IMHO it's good that map updates will be available in the future.

It is all marketing, designed to lure in naive customers.

Is 0% financing really 0%, or is the cost of the loan built into (hidden) in the cost of the item?🤔🥸

My $0.02, Lifetime is a term defined by the person or entity providing the offer. This brings me back to the discussion on Lifetime Transmission Fluid in VWs and other vehicles.

Certain older VW automatics failed regularly around 100K. As a result of many class action suits, VW finally defined their term Lifetime as the "expected ownership period" of the original purchaser of the vehicle or approximately 80K miles, 130 Kilometers.

VW guidance has since changed to regular transmission service at specific intervals.

My proof that poor fluid maintenance did in fact destroy VW transmissions, I personally ran my 2002 VW 01M automatic, a model that was notorious for failing, 200K miles with regular fluid changes every 80k with no issue. It performed flawlessly during my ownership and so far for the new owner.

The dealer refused to change the fluid during the time I owned the vehicle, claiming changing fluid with Lifetime fluid would destroy the transmission.

Suffice it to say, it is important to define any and all terms in a Promise to Perform before you assume any benefit.

Latest resources

Back