Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What is the best pellet smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

J&JD

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40’
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
I have been envious reading about pellet smokers, and the wonderful results on this forum. I have been researching, and realize there are many good choices. I am thinking of asking for it for Christmas. This first one will be for our home. I am interested in just a medium size that is easy to use, fairly easy to clean, and capable of a long, slow smoke for brisket without a huge amount of effort. I am considering Traeger, Green Mountain, Rec Tec etc. I figure my best resource would be honest opinions from this forum. Luckily, we livei in a temperate area where we can use it year round. I would be grateful for your sage advice! Many Thanks, Judy D

@J&JD I have had everything from Traeger to competition smokers ( A past lifetime) and I have to say going with pellet smoker is by far the easiest of all of them. Traegers are really popular as are Green Mountain. I myself am eyeing a portable one that I can carry in the rig so for me it would come down to either the Green Mountain like @Neal has or the portable Traeger. Both lines have handy features like temp probes and i know Traeger has a bluetooth app that works with certain models (maybe not portable units but not sure) and the Green Mountain might have that as well. The pellets are easy to store and its about as close to "set it and forget it". The flavor profile is incredible and you can make so many things. Try baking chocolate chip cookies in the smoker and it is heaven sent. Check out the recipes on the traeger website if interested...so many creative ideas. In the spirit of full disclosure, i have heard that some people have had issues with a treager but it seems sporadic and not really one thing from what I read.

I'll be watching this thread asI am considering doing the same. I'm sure someone we all know will be along shortly to recommend the GMG Davy Crockett and I am strongly considering buying one myself. That said, I am interested in other options as well.

TJ

I'll be watching this thread asI am considering doing the same. I'm sure someone we all know will be along shortly to recommend the GMG Davy Crockett and I am strongly considering buying one myself. That said, I am interested in other options as well.

TJ
That would be the choice for the coach, but Iam looking for a choice for home that can do a seriously long smoke for a primo brisket without constant attention. I would not want to subject my neighbors in a rv situation to that sort of smoking.
i am sure we will get some great advice? Judy

The ranger or scout traeger are really the perfect size. I carry the ranger with me and have been very happy. All accessories fit nicely inside and it easily fits in the bay of the rv.

The ranger or scout traeger are really the perfect size. I carry the ranger with me and have been very happy. All accessories fit nicely inside and it easily fits in the bay of the rv.
What do you use at home for bigger stuff?

I was just looking at the Recteq grills and was impressed that they are stainless steel. Especially for larger grills at the sticks-and-bricks, that should mean better durability. Lots of interesting features and they have a 200-500 degree temperature range; high enough to do pizza (marginally).

All that said, I'm still looking too.

TJ

What do you use at home for bigger stuff?
I have the traeger tail gater, and then a large smoker that I use wood in. I find myself rarely using the large one, as pellet is just too simple.

I am a loyal Green Mountain Grill fan and be sure to get the WiFi option so you can view/control it from your phone (grill temp, food temp probe, etc.)

At the S&B I have the Daniel Boone which I'll be using tonight with sear grates to cook steaks.

I keep a Davey Crocket in the RV which fits perfectly in the slideout bay.

Find your local GMG dealer/seller and go visit them.

Last edited:
I followed @Neal’s recommendation 2 years ago and got GMG Davey Crockett and been very pleased ?. Actually just did ribs last night and they were great. Carry in the back of the Colorado.

Latest resources

Back