Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What is this valve fitting and why would it come out?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXbound

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
The other day with no warning, water started leaking from under the sink at an alarming rate, I determined the culprit was a valve fittng , please see the attached photo. I put it back thinking it might just be for city water not tank, tried it with pump, popped right out, so I wrapped it with some duct tape and it staying in place but only with limited use of the pump, we really would like to get back on city water since we aren't boondocking, but I'm certain as soon as I try to use city water the pressure will be too high and water will find some way to get out, do I need to replace it? I left it in the up and down orientation if that's right, couldn't I just rubber cement it in? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• received_738412907765579.jpeg
    received_738412907765579.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
Are you saying the gray pipe is slipping out of that white plastic knurled nut on the T fitting?

If so, that knurled part is actually a nut, and there should be a compression ring of some type inside.
It might be that the compression ring is cracked and no longer able to keep the pipe retained.

I suggest closer inspection is called for, and parts replacement as needed.

Re-reading your post, it now sounds like you're describing that the turn handle is popping out of the valve body. If that's the case, then you'll have to get a new one. Local Camping World should be able to fix you up.

BTW.....that valve is a water direction control valve. I don't know exactly where those gray pipes go, but I will guess that it directs water from city supply to tank or to camper system, whichever is desired.

Roger

Yes it's the turn handle, so it's obviously warn and needs to be replaced I guess, thanks

Is this what i need to replace it with? RecPro RV Plumbing Hardware | 06910 | 3-Way 1/2" Compression Fitting Directional/Bypass Valve | Pex Pipe/Tubing Fittings (1 Fitting) Amazon.com

If this was damaged while on city water, your pressure may need regulated down. Some water hookups have pressure over 80 pounds. My internal pump is 40 to 55 pounds. I have s tiny drip in my plumbing when pressures are over 80 pounds at some campgrounds.
Your piping appears to be polybutylene pipe; polybutylene pipe is thinner than pex. Polybutyelene also does not hold up to bleach. If you use bleach to sterilize, be sure to rinse the bleach out. Bleach will harden polyeutylene pipe and then it will shatter or crack.

Is this what i need to replace it with? RecPro RV Plumbing Hardware | 06910 | 3-Way 1/2" Compression Fitting Directional/Bypass Valve | Pex Pipe/Tubing Fittings (1 Fitting) Amazon.com
It certainly looks the part, but there could be two different configurations in that same valve. It could direct water to one OR the other outlets, or it could direct water to one or both outlets. You'll need to check what your old valve does before ordering.

Roger

Limited-time deal: RVGUARD RV Water Pressure Regulator Valve, Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge and Inlet Screen Filter for RV Camper Travel Trailer Amazon.com

Try this if you do not have one.

Drain the system. Mark the valve so you know how to put it back in. Loosen the couplers on the three sides. Hopefully you have enough room to slide back the piping and remove the valve. Look inside the valve and you can see which way the water will be directed when you move the valve. I suspect it is a “diverter valve” to change from shore water to tank water. If you have two fresh water tanks, the valve may switch or combine tanks.

Drain the system. Mark the valve so you know how to put it back in. Loosen the couplers on the three sides. Hopefully you have enough room to slide back the piping and remove the valve. Look inside the valve and you can see which way the water will be directed when you move the valve. I suspect it is a “diverter valve” to change from shore water to tank water. If you have two fresh water tanks, the valve may switch or combine tanks.
I do have 2 fresh water pumps, so you think it's a diverter valve?

Limited-time deal: RVGUARD RV Water Pressure Regulator Valve, Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge and Inlet Screen Filter for RV Camper Travel Trailer Amazon.com

Try this if you do not have one.
Thanks I don't have one, do I need the adjustable one?

Latest resources

Back