Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jimo

RVF Regular
I have been wondering about what kind of RV to buy. My wife and I will soon be retired. We have no intention of not having a house or condo. People that I have worked with have owned RVs but they were more for having a place to live as they followed the jobs around the USA and were saving on hotel or rental bills, so not necessarily using them for fun.
When I was young, I drove truck over the road; so, I do have experience (at one time in my life) in driving big rigs. I also have a bunch of tools from when I was younger, but don't necessarily like to pull wrench or test electronics and electrical stuff, but I can do it.
Cost is not a big issue, I can afford whatever I decide on (Including bus type RVs, but I don't really think I need that level of RV). I would want diesel but no travel trailer.
I have looked at class B, B+, and A, only on line and YouTube, covid is getting in the way of shows.
We can stay at hotels, afford to eat out whenever; so, a smaller RV may not be a problem for us. We could also jet back home as needed or wanted.
The one issue I do wonder about is traveling around and having small transportation. I have thought about road legal scooters or e-bikes, perhaps pull behind jeep?
We would not need to work. We could be anywhere the road takes us and fancy to go (excluding Mexico, as much as I like Mexico the issue is security) from the southern boarder of the USA to all of North America.

So guys, knowing what you know about me (as small as that information is), and you guys collectively having generations of experience, what would you recommend and why?
Thanks for any feedback.

Buying an RV is like buying a suit. You need to try it on, move around init and see how it fits, etc.

First find a few floor plans that you like. You can see the layouts online (rvtrader.com or the manufacturer’s website). Since money is no object you want to consider higher quality, such as Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Winnebago.

Then go to several dealers and try then on. Sit in the driver’s seat, lay on the bed, see if the bathroom fits. Can you access the entire coach with the slides in. Is the living seating comfortable? Can you fit comfortably in the shower? Is the TV located in a spot which would be comfortable to watch for an extended period? Does it have enough counter space? Is the pantry to your liking ( if it has one)? Will you be entertaining guests? Enough sleeping capacity? Where will you store it?

Traveling physically check it out is worth it, even if you have to travel hundreds of miles to see what you are considering.

Get quotes from several dealers. Check out each dealer’s reputation for sales and service. Rvservicereviews.com. Also consult forums fo people’s experience with dealers. Stay away from most Camping Worlds.

He nailed it.

Welcome from Georgia!

Couldn’t agree more. There’s not much more to add unless you have more specific questions or requirements

Thanks for all the input, and it's all important considerations. I have chosen diesel power and RV not a trailer. Now the decision for me is class b, class b+ or class A, and this is where other peoples experience is important to me. Getting a big class A has lots of room, but I can see that being a problem getting around and parking, class b has less room but much easier to get around, park, one may be better for carrying or pulling alternate transportation. This is why I am asking, you guys have RVs, if cost was not the driving factor would you change from class A (40, 30, 20...ft) to class b or b+ or vise versa? Using the suit analogy, I am trying to decide between Italian and English styles, choosing either fixes basic design then its just the cut.

I am wondering if you have a class C confused with a class B?
Class B usually refers to a nice luxury "van" where a class C has something similar to a E-450 (and larger) chassis with an RV that can tow a vehicle...they come in several different lengths. Sounds like you want a class C that can tow a small vehicle or motorbike/large moped, etc.
I agree with what was said earlier about picking a lay out and first trying out to see if there is adequate space to change clothes in bedroom &/or bathroom as that is something I struggle with. Also, is there room to move around while traveling with the slides in to use bathroom?

Last edited:
I am wondering if you have a class C confused with a class B?
Class B usually refers to a nice luxury "van" where a class C has something similar to a E-450 (and larger) chassis with an RV that can tow a vehicle...they come in several different lengths. Sounds like you want a class C that can tow a small vehicle or motorbike/large moped, etc.
I agree with what was said earlier about picking a lay out and first trying out to see if there is adequate space to change clothes in bedroom &/or bathroom as that is something I struggle with. Also, is there room to move around while traveling with the slides in to use bathroom?
I was referring to class b and b+, but perhaps my descriptions are poor. I noticed a RV, think it was a class c on the road the other day and they had 2 mopeds on the back.
My worry is the following:
1. A large RV is hard to get into camping sites and perhaps they are forbidden in some camping sites, class bs can (more or less) fit into a normal parking space; what is the best option and why?
2. Do all you guys have TT or other camping passes? I have seen some youtube videos where people have said finding sites is difficult. (what good is an RV if you can find a camping spot?)

Really sorry to be a pain, but I only know what I see on youtube. I know no one that owns an RV.

You’re not being a pain, these are great questions and considerations. It’s good to think it through and get experience from others.

since you’ve settled on diesel, the consideration between B, C, Super-C and A is really about size and amenities. When you think about size, there are two main things to consider, length and weight - height is also important but it’s pretty standard across the industry at 13’ 6” or less.

weight is more of a factor during travel. I am 23 tons so there are plenty of roads I can’t travel. Length is the main factor in terms of getting a campsite. The smaller you are lengthwise, the more places you can fit and the more campgrounds you can go to, opening up your options for spots. At 44’, I am almost as big as they come so with the weight, I face the most restrictions in terms of where I can go and how I get there.

the smaller you go however, the less amenities you have. Want a washer and dryer on board? Not easy to find when you’re under 30’ for example.

i really think you need to go someplace like MHSRV or National Indoor RV Center. Both of those places will have some of everything. Spend a day there and go through the various examples of each class. To borrow your analogy, few people buy a suit without first trying it on and seeing how they feel when they look at themselves in a mirror. So try on the Italian for an hour or two. Then try the English.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back