Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Varies, I use a Demco SS Kar Kaddy
Fulltimer
No
I have just put our MH into winter storage. I need to figure out what size or kind of battery maintainer I need. I have 4 6v golf cart batteries for the house and 2 group 31 batteries for the chassis. I have some battery tender junior that I use on our motor cycles. I am sure they are not big enough for the MH needs. 2002 HR Ambassador 8.3 Cummins DP.

I did a search, but not much for recommendations. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

If you have a way to plug it in, even a 15/20 amp outlet, plug it in and let the onboard charger handle the batteries.

I keep it plugged in, that takes care of the house batteries.
For the chassis batteries (which aren't charged on shore power) I bought this:
and this extra cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWV0GQ/?tag=rvf01-20

I routed the extra cable from the engine bay to the battery compartment and zip tied it in place, it stays in there. When I'm stationary I plug the noco into the engine heater outlet above the motor in the engine bay. Engine heater outlet is hot on shore power. Plug it into the extra cable. Then in the battery bay I plug the end with the clamps into the other end of the extra cable and put the clamps on the chassis batteries.

When I move I just disconnect it and put it in the storage bay. It worked so far.

I use Batteryminder chargers That have full time pulse desulfation and temperature compensation.
For the eight 6 volt house batteries(900 amp hours) I use a 2/4/8 amp selectable model. If the batteries are fully charged before I put it in storage, the 2 amp setting keeps the batteries fully charged. Otherwise I put it on 8 amps then back it down after a week or so.
For the 2 chassis batteries (same size as yours) I use a smaller 1.5 amp model that works fine.
The description of each of their chargers on their website states how many batteries it can keep charged.

Latest resources

Back