RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Crossroads Cruiser
RV Length
27ft
TOW/TOAD
5th
I just put my 5th wheel in outside storage. should I put plastic over the outside vents for the fridge and water heater? I put dryer sheets in the outside panels. I want to buy a cover for the rig. Any thoughts on brand of covers? It's a 27ft and will be in an IL winter.
Thanks
Smiles (just busting stones I'm a fungi ) for Karen I'll leave it alone now.
TB
But serious about my question
Thanks

I was always scared of covers because I was afraid they'd scratch my paint. I'm in IL also but the southern part.

Some winters I lived in it for work, now we spend the winter in Florida. But before all that all I'd do was drain the water heater, blow out the lines, pour rv antifreeze in the traps and park it.

So I guess I'm not much help.

I was always scared of covers because I was afraid they'd scratch my paint. I'm in IL also but the southern part.

Some winters I lived in it for work, now we spend the winter in Florida. But before all that all I'd do was drain the water heater, blow out the lines, pour rv antifreeze in the traps and park it.

So I guess I'm not much help.
I'm thinking about a whole trlr cover but i was wondering about just covering the vent for the heater,fridge,and hot water I did pour extra rv antifreeze down the drains and the lines were cleaned and filled by the dealer
TB

I would not cover the rig or the vents. I am of the opinion that rig covers do more harm than good. More often than not with a rig cover, you’ll end up with moisture trapped between the cover and the rig. At the best, it’s going to make for a slimy disgusting mess when the cover finally comes off. At the worst, you’re going to have moisture damage. As for covering the vents, I wouldn’t cover them either. She is built like a house, she needs to breathe like one. Those vents allow heat and moisture to escape.

Last edited:
I would not cover the rig or the vents. I am of the opinion that rig covers do more harm than good. More often than not with a rig cover, you’ll end up with moisture trapped between the cover and the rig. At the best, it’s going to make for a slimy disgusting mess when the cover finally comes off. At the worst, you’re going to have moisture damage. As for covering the vents, I wouldn’t cover them either. She is built like a house, she needs to breathe like one. Those vents allow heat and moisture to escape.
Thanks John.

When we had our boat (40') and lived in Illinois there were several years that we stored outside. In our experience unless you want to pay for someone to shrink wrap it then you are better off just leaving it uncovered. IMHO a regular tied down cover is risky. I only used a cover one year and it rubbed on a couple spots during zero temps and high winds.

Latest resources

Back