Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What will you or do you regret at 80?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No

Okay fellow RVers, this was in my social media feed today and it hits home as I try to project when I'm at a point in life where I'm unable to do things I wish I could and look back and wonder what I would have or should have done different.

Some of my closer connections here know some of my struggles, one of which is where to live and am I in the right place right now. The RV has been an amazing opportunity to get out and see and also consider options such as my 2022 RV trip to explore Colorado. I also struggle with going fulltime as I don't want to let go of the house I love but it may not be in the location I love. There is so much to see and do but some like myself do like some grounding and time to pause and reflect, or plan.

Tell your story; looking back, anything you wish you would have done that you didn't do? Projecting forward putting yourself in a position to look back, what do you think you should change now to prevent regrets in the future along this same line?

So many of the people in my life have said that when they retire they going to travel and enjoy life but there was always a reason why they couldn't. Many of them have passed away and never got past the excuses but we are not going to be the ones sitting on the porch talking about things they want to do. I'm going to be the one talking about what I did do. My sister-in-law said for the last 10 years they were going to tour Europe her husband was 78 years old and played 18 holes of golf three times a week and now he can't walk to the front door without help. We are currently packing for over 3 months in Florida and whole list of buck list items to check off.

Last edited:
I think that there is a huge difference between regret and recognizing mistakes.
I have made so many bad decisions in my life.
I have made so many good decisions in my life.
I don’t look back and regret. I look back and think, “Well, that was a stupid thing to do”, but that stupid thing set up another chain of events that led me to where I am today as did all the stupid, risky, fun, smart, and good things.
My life is great today. I have my problems and I have my triumphs.
Life is meant to be lived. I know so many people that are so afraid of dying, they refuse to live while they are alive.
When I die, my people will be able to say, “He lived life to the fullest”.

I often wonder what my twilight years will lok like. My Dad died at 50 of a heart attack while flying and there is family history of CAD so from the age of thirty or so I really never thought that I would live much past 60 or so. I had a double by-pass this summer and the rest of my health is pretty good so I have been giving more credence to the idea of living longer. My wife and I have been fortunate enough to enjoy the finer things in life in out early years. We have traveled the world, at least the place we were interested in. We owned and enjoyed larger sport yachts and now we have the 40 foot DS to explore the PNW in. We don't plan on being the live aboard and see the entire country types though. I guess I see my twilight years as being carefree and take one year at a time. We live in Nor-Cal and as long as I don't worry about what is on the news and can manage to mow the ten or so acres we have to keep the risk of fire low Ill be happy and not look back. The decision early in our marriage to not produce off-spring has contributed a lot to my outlook on life.

I can think of a few minor regrets, but nothing that causes any lack of sleep. We have been married since college, and both of us luckily are interested in travel, and adventure. We have traveled much of the world, and have many, often hilarious memories of some of the situations we managed to get ourselves in😳 I look around at some of our retired friends, and they have become so sedentary. We would be bored to tears living life like that. I think rving part of the year keeps us perky! I agree with others, do whatever you want to experience sooner, rather than later. I hope we can still have adventures when we reach 80. Just have as much fun as you can, and the regrets will be few. Judy D
And, we have had the pleasure of visiting all 50 states. Not just fly in and out but actually visit.

Last edited:
In my early 70s I am grateful for spending time living and traveling on my sailboat and for full-timing in our RV…seeing places that most just don’t do. Meeting and becoming friends with people from most of those places has been incredible. But mostly, I’m happy to have a wife who enjoys our travels as much as I do. If I make it to 80, I hope to fill in some more blanks. If not, I think my regrets list will be fairly short.

The things you regret most are the things you did not do.

I regret working in the family business instead of going out on my own. Loyalty to my dad kept me from it. When it came time for him to repay my loyalty and honor his promises he cast me aside. The business went to hell a few years later. I also somewhat regret that we didn't speak for the last 4 years of his life.

Latest resources

Back