Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
@sheridany asked me a question in another thread what would I buy if I sold the "ventessex". I didn't want to derail that thread so I figured I'd answer it here.

I don't know!

I say that as there are a number of factors which I'll discuss. The first problem is, and one I've had since taking ownership, is not realizing how great of a coach I have. We live in this online world whether here or another forum where all we see is people buying, moving up the ladder of coaches, etc. In the boating world it's "two-foot-itis" always wanting a bigger boat. I'm going to admit I suffer from not being able to always appreciate what I have. This goes beyond the coach. The compliments I get at campgrounds remind me I should appreciate what I have. When looking around at various campgrounds it helps put things in perspective sometimes. That sounds bad in a way, the word "over entitled" may be the ugly fitting term, but again, I have to keep reminding myself of what I have and also what I've done to it.

The complicating matter is that as we all know, now is probably the only time I'd ever be able to command a price above what I paid for it. I can put somewhat of a value on the material costs to the mods, somewhat on labor costs but I won't include that, and of course some depreciation value on all of the above. But obviously the flip side is buying back in to a coach that would probably be double what I paid for this one with little added value to my RV experiences. To me, and only me, I find it very difficult to realize any difference in any Newmar DP coach on the inside. It's the same living space, the same cabinetry, the same bed, etc. The only difference ultimately, to me, is the basement.

Would I buy a Dutch Star? No. There is not enough difference, to me, between what I have and what it offers to justify the expenses of selling, buying, mod'ing. Above that in the Newmar lineup is the luxury lineup and until one specific item changes in that area, I will never own a luxury model Newmar. Let's not get into that but recent events have sealed the deal that I will never own one with "that."

So where does that leave me? I would have to hawk the used market for something great to come online and then act fast as it probably wouldn't last. My future probably is fulltiming, but probably not for the near term, i.e. within 5 years unless I do something drastic. The RV purchase four years ago was an impulse buy, I had never RV'd before and it's been forever since I tent camped and since then I learned too much about the food chain realizing I was on the wrong end of it from those cute furry things - bears! I ended up absolutely loving RVing and I don't want to stop. The simple lifestyle, the friendships, the things to see, the constant change are just a few things I love.

So in reality, I'm not sure what to do. I'm curious what I could command for the price and sale. If I was to order a new Newmar, it would definitely be 2023 or later as @redbaron seems to believe this is when major changes are coming. I'm not a fan of the front caps but as long as they keep putting "radar" in front that may never change, assuming that's why they changed it in the first place.

In summary I continue with the need to appreciate what I have before it's gone. Learning to appreciate...

Having recently moved out of a sixteen year old coach, I see no reason for you to get out of yours. You’ve stated repeatedly you are happy with it. Other than just having the latest, shiny new specimen, there’s no compelling reason to switch.

As always, IMHO and YMMV.

I have a modest fantasy of one day purchasing a lightly used double decker bus and turning into a three bedroom 2.5 bath motorhome. No slides. Bedrooms on the top, kitchen, dining and living room on the bottom.

Surprisingly they are only a few inches taller than my Ventana, but you lose all the storage underneath. I ask myself whether all that storage is needed outside if you can put everything inside. Just a fantasy. Maybe one day I will be able to make it come true.

I am with you though @Neal, there is almost zero difference between the Dutchstar and Ventana these days. Though I am curious what your nonstarter with the high line is. One thing I will say is that I really appreciate the simplicity of my coach compared to the high lines. While they are beautiful coaches, I wish Newmar would just focus more on quality materials, fit, finish and durability and simplification. I do not need to turn on my lights, bring in my awnings or flush my toilet using my iPhone. If only we could get a decent infotainment system and those 360 cameras, always on and feeding into a central DVR.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: Above that in the Newmar lineup is the luxury lineup and until one specific item changes in that area, I will never own a luxury model Newmar. Let's not get into that but recent events have sealed the deal that I will never own one with "that."
I guess that means you are not in the market for a gently used, well-maintained and wonderfully-optioned 2018 Mountain Aire.

TJ

I guess that means you are not in the market for a gently used, well-maintained and wonderfully-optioned 2018 Mountain Aire.

TJ
I do enjoy the always on feature. I have been considering it, with Polson thrown in, that would be a tough one to pass over :)

I do enjoy the always on feature. I have been considering it, with Polson thrown in, that would be a tough one to pass over :)
Woof, offer a hand and he takes the arm! Watch out @TJ&LadyDi

The “always on feature” has now become optional; you leave the key on for “always on.” Key off is the optional mode. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

@sheridany asked me a question in another thread what would I buy if I sold the "ventessex". I didn't want to derail that thread so I figured I'd answer it here.

I don't know!

I say that as there are a number of factors which I'll discuss. The first problem is, and one I've had since taking ownership, is not realizing how great of a coach I have. We live in this online world whether here or another forum where all we see is people buying, moving up the ladder of coaches, etc. In the boating world it's "two-foot-itis" always wanting a bigger boat. I'm going to admit I suffer from not being able to always appreciate what I have. This goes beyond the coach. The compliments I get at campgrounds remind me I should appreciate what I have. When looking around at various campgrounds it helps put things in perspective sometimes. That sounds bad in a way, the word "over entitled" may be the ugly fitting term, but again, I have to keep reminding myself of what I have and also what I've done to it.

The complicating matter is that as we all know, now is probably the only time I'd ever be able to command a price above what I paid for it. I can put somewhat of a value on the material costs to the mods, somewhat on labor costs but I won't include that, and of course some depreciation value on all of the above. But obviously the flip side is buying back in to a coach that would probably be double what I paid for this one with little added value to my RV experiences. To me, and only me, I find it very difficult to realize any difference in any Newmar DP coach on the inside. It's the same living space, the same cabinetry, the same bed, etc. The only difference ultimately, to me, is the basement.

Would I buy a Dutch Star? No. There is not enough difference, to me, between what I have and what it offers to justify the expenses of selling, buying, mod'ing. Above that in the Newmar lineup is the luxury lineup and until one specific item changes in that area, I will never own a luxury model Newmar. Let's not get into that but recent events have sealed the deal that I will never own one with "that."

So where does that leave me? I would have to hawk the used market for something great to come online and then act fast as it probably wouldn't last. My future probably is fulltiming, but probably not for the near term, i.e. within 5 years unless I do something drastic. The RV purchase four years ago was an impulse buy, I had never RV'd before and it's been forever since I tent camped and since then I learned too much about the food chain realizing I was on the wrong end of it from those cute furry things - bears! I ended up absolutely loving RVing and I don't want to stop. The simple lifestyle, the friendships, the things to see, the constant change are just a few things I love.

So in reality, I'm not sure what to do. I'm curious what I could command for the price and sale. If I was to order a new Newmar, it would definitely be 2023 or later as @redbaron seems to believe this is when major changes are coming. I'm not a fan of the front caps but as long as they keep putting "radar" in front that may never change, assuming that's why they changed it in the first place.

In summary I continue with the need to appreciate what I have before it's gone. Learning to appreciate...
Neal, it is interesting to observe this sell or not sell decision. We do like the Dutch Star, one of the main reasons is not having any carpet. It is so hard to keep it looking clean and fresh in a motorhome. I know many trade every few years, when they can sell their coach easily. We had our first coach for 11 years, and loved it still, it was sold to new owners in one day.I think some coaches just happen to go through the assembly better than others, and if you have a fairly trouble free one as we do, count your blessings. We also dread the first year with a coach, and working through the inevitable bugs. With all the upheaval going on at Newmar, and other high line producers, I would be a bit concerned about dealing with even more first year issues. Happy decision making. Judy D. I forgot to mention, that we would not be without the heated floors?

Thanks Judy - and yes the carpet is a pro and con. Having a same surface throughout makes things look larger but there is also a comfort factor to carpet. When sitting at the dinette I enjoy carpet under my feet. I have no problems with it. I'm actually having it replaced during my September 27th upcoming visit after two dogs, one of which a puppy added some wear to it, nothing major but as my furniture is being removed to get a warranty reupholstery why not knock out a carpet refresh.

I feel my coach was one of the last quality builds that came off the line before production ramped up, etc. It has been a solid coach and that is another reason which I failed to mention, that makes this a tough decision.

Thanks Judy - and yes the carpet is a pro and con. Having a same surface throughout makes things look larger but there is also a comfort factor to carpet. When sitting at the dinette I enjoy carpet under my feet. I have no problems with it. I'm actually having it replaced during my September 27th upcoming visit after two dogs, one of which a puppy added some wear to it, nothing major but as my furniture is being removed to get a warranty reupholstery why not knock out a carpet refresh.

I feel my coach was one of the last quality builds that came off the line before production ramped up, etc. It has been a solid coach and that is another reason which I failed to mention, that makes this a tough decision.
I agree, ours is a 17 also. You could always put a fuzzy area rug where needed for your tender little feet?

Latest resources

Back