Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ChrisBarry

RVF Newbee
My chassis is a 2018. My VIN is a “J” meaning a 2018, the cummins engine is a 2017. All the stickers in the coach say 2019, all the manuals are 2019. I thought I bought a 2020 - thats what they told me. I doubt that now - I even believe my “new 2020” is actually a used 2019. What is the official source? I want to sue the dealership and manufacturer. I filed a lemon law complaint and the manufacturer settled within minutes. The coach is nothing but problems and recalls so I need some advise.

My suggestion is return for a full refund. If unable to get a full refund, Next would be to get a reputable attorney experienced in this type of legal matters.

Interesting question! From what I read, I would think it is likely a 2019, though it could be a late 2018. RV model years usually change in the spring; April/May.

It is not unusual for the engine and chassis to be a model year earlier than the completed coach as the supply chain can be a drawn out process. Officially, I think you probably have a a 2019 model-year RV but the 2018 VIN certainly provides a point of contention. It definitely isn’t a 2020.

Good advice above on using state resources and/or legal representation to get the RV returned and the full purchase price refunded. The first step is taking it back to the dealer and asking (in writing) for a full refund. If there is any hesitancy, contact the consumer fraud agency in the state where the RV was purchased. And, get the attorney to write a letter to the dealership stating your case in legal terms and asking for a full refund plus attorney fees.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to let the consumer fraud complaint and legal action run its course. I would park the RV and not use it at all to minimize the chance of a counter-claim that you have caused damage to the unit.

TJ

Last edited:
thats what they told me
Do you have any documentation or evidence in writing as to the 2020 model year? Hearsay will go nowhere with this other than a discussion with your sales person and dealer. From a legal standpoint you'll need verifiable evidence that contradicts what was advertised vs. what you were given.

Do you have any documentation or evidence in writing as to the 2020 model year? Hearsay will go nowhere with this other than a discussion with your sales person and dealer. From a legal standpoint you'll need verifiable evidence that contradicts what was advertised vs. what you were given.
Good point, @Neal. What does the purchase contract say?

TJ

All the information about what year it is would be on the original MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin). These are like a birth certificate for any RV. The same type documents are used in the marine industry as well. Some of the info on it includes the BUILD DATE, model number, weight and who built it,. It would also be assigned to the dealer that got it from the factory. The real MSO would have been sent to your state office and replaced with a title. Your dealer most likely would have filled in the title app (you would have signed in the stack of papers) and sent it to a state office for processing, if you bought in your state. Your dealer should have kept a copy in your deal file. You could ask to see the copy.
Having a chassis not match is common as mentioned by TJ&LadyDi above. My 2019 HR 35K Vacationer has a 2018 Ford chassis. Whatever your dealer "called" it and when you bought it does not matter to the correct model year. It's all in the MSO from the factory. Your state would generally follow that document and title it for the year stated.
Checking all the paperwork is a good idea. Your buyers order, MSO, title and registration should all match titled year.
Ken

Im going to date myself here back in 84 we we're selling legally registered 84s on 1979 chassis. Manufacturers got caught with huge inventories that took many five years to work through. As done today the customer always signed a notice acknowledging the chassis year. Imo thanks to alll the hungry attorneys you sign so much legalese you have no idea when you get home what you signed and who would want to. Id bet if you go through your paperwork you signed papers explaining the chasis year. Id also belive you have a 20. As far as stickers on the coach they will tell you year of mfg which does not mean the model year. I bought a new 2018 toyota in aug of 17. Mfg in 17 but still reg as a 18.

Latest resources

Back