• Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NGC 613

RVF Supporter
RV Year
Fulltimer
No
On our last camper we had the Winegard Connect 2.0 for all our travels and streaming while on site. It did well for us. We did get some buffering issues once in a while. We use 2 pc's and 1 TV and of course ALEXA. While waiting on the new 5er to be built and finished I'm looking for other alternatives to the WIFI ranger it comes with. While we don't do much of any boon docking now ,we may start doing so.
Right now I have a back up system at the house that works well getting 45 to 50 megs download and 2 or 3 up.
It's a Netgear Nighthawk M1 with a $35 monthly AT&T sim card unlimited. Been using it for almost 4 years now , using a simple small window antenna. I'm thinking this would work well with a nice MIMO 2x2 mounted on the ladder that can raise up and down 4 or 5 feet as needed. I can use the WIFI ranger while in any park to use that parks WIFI if they have decent wifi. Some do and some don't as we all know. I used this same sim card for my Connect 2.0 also. and moved it back and forth from Nighthawk to Connect 2 as the need required.
Trying to stay as cheap as I can and I'm thinking that Mobley may be another option , but what kind of speeds can I expect from it?

I'm a pepwave fan as you probably know. I currently have a dual system setup of a Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 (primary) with a secondary of a Pepwave MAX BR1 MINI (with WAN license). In the coming week I'm replacing the MINI with a Pepwave MAX TRANSIT CAT 18 which will become primary and the BR1 MK2 will move to the secondary/backup position.

I have the Wi-Fi Ranger

It's a Netgear Nighthawk M1 with a $35 monthly AT&T sim card unlimited. Been using it for almost 4 years now , using a simple small window antenna. I'm thinking this would work well with a nice MIMO 2x2 mounted on the ladder that can raise up and down 4 or 5 feet as needed. I can use the WIFI ranger while in any park to use that parks WIFI if they have decent wifi. Some do and some don't as we all know. I used this same sim card for my Connect 2.0 also. and moved it back and forth from Nighthawk to Connect 2 as the need required.
Trying to stay as cheap as I can and I'm thinking that Mobley may be another option , but what kind of speeds can I expect from it?

The Netgear NIghthawk M1 (MR1100) has a Cat 16 modem with built-in 4x4 MIMO. The Connect 2.0 has a Cat 4 modem. That's a big difference. It would be difficult to imagine when the Cat 4 would give better performance than a Cat 16.

Furthermore, as for adding MIMO antennas to the Nighthawk, if you add a 2x2 through its external ports you will reduce its capabilities from 4x4 to 2x2. In some cases having it high on a mast will more than offset that change, but in others it won't. I always suggest to people that they measure actual download speeds at each new location before making a decision as to which will be best. MIMO is a complex topic and its use is controlled by the tower you are connected to; all the antennas in the word won't help if the tower isn't providing a MIMO connection.

Joel (AKA docj)

The Netgear NIghthawk M1 (MR1100) has a Cat 16 modem with built-in 4x4 MIMO. The Connect 2.0 has a Cat 4 modem. That's a big difference. It would be difficult to imagine when the Cat 4 would give better performance than a Cat 16.

Furthermore, as for adding MIMO antennas to the Nighthawk, if you add a 2x2 through its external ports you will reduce its capabilities from 4x4 to 2x2. In some cases having it high on a mast will more than offset that change, but in others it won't. I always suggest to people that they measure actual download speeds at each new location before making a decision as to which will be best. MIMO is a complex topic and its use is controlled by the tower you are connected to; all the antennas in the word won't help if the tower isn't providing a MIMO connection.

Joel (AKA docj)
I have two small drilled wholes in the case cover so I can access the other 2 ports for 4 x 4 .Some guy did a You Tube video on this and I just copied what he did. It was simple and easy. I will use the small antenna I have in the house for that. I haven't used this option yet , but I'm set up to do it when I want.
Also does anybody know what kind of speeds people get with the Mobley ? I may make it a back up . Not sure about that one yet.

MoFI 4500 Sim7. I will probably take a page from @Neal and @lemondrop9344’s book here in the next 8-12 months and move to a Pepwave.

MoFi has been a fine starter for getting my feet wet without spending too much. Pepwave will be better. Starlink if I can ever get it will be best.

end goal is a pepwave + starlink setup. Pepwave for more congested areas, Starlink for the rural.

PepWave Transit Duo with 3 SIM cards; 2 in Cell A, and one in Cell B.

I had the PepWave BR1 Max before and it was nice, but was only a single modem so changeover was too slow.

The PepWave interface is pretty straightforward compared to the CradlePoint.

The Transit Duo was half the cost of a CP with the same features.

Nice to see @docj on the forum, he’s a valuable resource. I am also a pepWave Max transit cat18 user, and I also use a MR1100 on the WAN port for bonding using speed fusion.

I’m often amused that people will invest big $$ in other subsystems like solar and LiOn batteries etc but try to do an equally critical item like internet on the cheap. If one can swing it, they should get a good cellular router with multiple modems from one of the reputable vendors like Peplink. $.02

Let me ask another question on top of the first one. If you had nothing , but the hot spot Nighthawk what antenna set up would you add to it? I have 4 TS9 ports available to me on the Nighthawk instead of the normal 2 . I do not want to make a new hole in the roof so ladder mount type system is best in my case.

Latest resources

Back