Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

When a dealer receives a bad product from the manufacturer...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
You're a dealer for RV's and you receive something obviously not normal in quality and expectations. What is the right thing to do? Do you detail it up and deliver it to the customer so you get your money? Do you send it back to the factory and make sure it's right? Do you pass it off to the customer and let them deal with the manufacturer for warranty repairs? Who is responsible for the quality of the deliverable? Are you a transfer agent acting on behalf of the manufacturer? Is the customer buying from the dealer or the manufacturer? This can apply to any vehicle. But I'm curious what ownership dealers are taking when we know there are major quality issues in the motorhome industry.

The dealer is under a much higher value contract with the manufacturer.

The customer is the last consideration.

If a customer complains about an issue, then the dealer should work to resolve, but they will try to minimize time and cost.

That's why my Call to Action specifically directs you to Newmar customer service, bypassing the dealer.

This is one of the things I really like about Newmar - not having to talk to a dealer until it’s time to schedule work.

I do like that I don't have to go through my dealer for Newmar to arrange work. That would suck. But that's off topic.

I have yet to hear of a scenario where an RV is returned to the factory. Maybe it happens, but one can only imagine how bad those RV's must be to have that happen. We wouldn't hear about it most likely. We hear/ read about the multitude of RV's delivered with poor build quality and then the gyrations people go through to correct. Since the normal dealer MO is to have the customer sign docs prior to inspection, they seem to be trying to drive the onus to the customer to seek remedy. Only those customers that get independent inspections or demand their own inspection prior to signing for ownership maintain a power positions. the others are left with a post delivery punch list. I think you questions are valid, and timely. Unfortunately there are many answers, and most of them lead to pain for the customer.

This is one of the reasons we chose to go with a Newmar, having a Factory Service program. Dealers typically are busy selling and/or prepping units for sale rather than repairing/maintaining customer after sale products.
Unless you have a long standing relationship with a retail dealer (having bought many units over years) you will typically be scheduled last for ongoing maintenance or warranty repair.
This has been my experience.

This is one of the reasons we chose to go with a Newmar, having a Factory Service program. Dealers typically are busy selling and/or prepping units for sale rather than repairing/maintaining customer after sale products.
Unless you have a long standing relationship with a retail dealer (having bought many units over years) you will typically be scheduled last for ongoing maintenance or warranty repair.
This has been my experience.
The option of a Factory Pickup was a major deciding factor for us as well. Had to pay for it but it was worth every cent to us and I wouldn’t do it any other way.

The option of a Factory Pickup was a major deciding factor for us as well. Had to pay for it but it was worth every cent to us and I wouldn’t do it any other way.

I have always made the same statements. 2 Factory Deliveries--always thought that was the only way.

I am now trying a different approach. Time will tell if that was the right call or not.

Looking forward to the review.

Looking forward to the review.

My pending delivery has me up at nights. It is very similar to taking on a new client after reading the pre-action reports that contain nothing but a list of all the problems and a list of all the previous failed attempts to resolve by previous companies.

The only solution is to face it head on and hope for the best.

Latest resources

Back