Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question When to replace Chassis batteries?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
This morning's start in slightly cool weather was a slow crank but good start. I was thinking when is the time to replace the chassis (not house) batteries? Wait for a failure or preempt it with a routine replacement?

I'm heading to Gaffney (Freightliner) next September for my annual service, a little later than normal which is an April visit but due to travel plans I have to make it later. I'm thinking that will be year 4 on the batteries, actually 4 1/2 years from chassis build date and may just get them replaced then assuming Gaffney can change them, or change them myself. Probably going to get steer tires replaced on that visit too.

Anyone decided to replace the batteries before they failed? If so, when did you or if you're planning to replace them when is your timeline for doing so?

My batteries are going on 7 years and still doing fine. Last week I saw a 2016 DS was getting new chassis batteries at the RV park.
Will keep mine until I notice reduced performance. You are better off getting a local battery place to replace them.
Newmar could be pricey.

It’s pricey given the 8 6v in the VTDP. I want to say close to $1500 for the batteries. I had two fail individual testing so it was recommended to replace all. I am not convinced that’s necessary but I don’t know for sure.

I swapped my batteries out at two years for AGM batteries.

Did you happen to notice what the chassis battery voltage was prior to starting? Could the batteries have been slightly low where the charge bridge was about to kick in? I installed a 12V smart switch that enables me to send a 12V signal to the charge bridge to activate the solenoid. Having the solenoid activated in the hours before departure will help ensure a sufficient charged battery.

I usually plan on replacinf all the batteries at 5-6 years. Last RV I replaced them all at 5 years. This was a gasser. Some of the diesels have much larger batteries so, I don't know if they last longer or not.

Neal, even though your chassis batteries are “sealed” they can easily get low on electrolyte. I would pop off the seal and check. DSDon on the other side just had a post on the topic a few weeks ago.

Neal, even though your chassis batteries are “sealed” they can easily get low on electrolyte. I would pop off the seal and check. DSDon on the other side just had a post on the topic a few weeks ago.
I know @Dutch Star Don did this and from what I researched and heard from techs is this is NOT to be done. These batteries are sealed for a reason, breaking the seal is bad. Google about adding water to AGM's - I can't remember my google search used but I learned to not do this.

I know @Dutch Star Don did this and from what I researched and heard from techs is this is NOT to be done. These batteries are sealed for a reason, breaking the seal is bad. Google about adding water to AGM's - I can't remember my google search used but I learned to not do this.
The chassis batteries are not AGM, at least in most of the coaches. They are just standard “wet” batteries but don’t have fill caps. They can still be popped opened and the fluid checked.

Last edited:
The chassis batteries are not AGM, at least in most of the coaches. They are just standard “wet” batteries but don’t have fill caps. They can still be popped opened and the fluid checked.
I agree chassis batteries are wet cells. The Spartan academy said that should be checked yearly.

Latest resources

Back