Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bbp331

RVF Newbee
Looking to spend several months traveling. Wanting to stop when the days done. Maybe stay a day or two then move on.not wanting any set schedule. Need help how you find places to stay ?

When Im in this mode I just start checking google maps and my Garmin 890 50-75 miles ahead of my location an hour before I want to stop, and I always find something, usually in the “affordable” range. State and County parks are great for this.

I don’t bother with reservations unless I have some specific schedule. As a failsafe, there are always rest areas and walmarts. But in over 100,000 miles of RV’ing I’ve never had a problem using this method and have discovered some really nice parks doing so.

I’ve downloaded half a dozen campground apps, but other than Harvest Hosts and KOA, I never use them, and only go looking for a KOA when I need full hook-ups and can’t find anything else. KOA CGs are dependable, clean and neat and well managed, but also 20+% above the cost of the independent full hook-up parks.

When hook-ups are not needed, I check with Harvest Hosts, and with the golf course add on, I have plenty to choose from. Use it two nights per year and it’s a break even. Any more than that and its free camping. There are also Boondockers Welcome, Hip Camp and lots of others but I haven't needed them yet so haven't tried them.

For an overnight, I stay at Sam's Clubs (perk of being member, and I do my grocery shopping and/or pick up something for supper) or Cracker Barrel (supper then breakfast the next morning). If I need facilities, I check freecampsites.net (lists many public cgs that other places don't) and Passport America 50% off site (at $44 for a year, I can usually break even after two nights). I also check campendium.com and rvparky.com . I don't typically make reservations in advance. I will make a same day reservation at a public park to make sure I have a spot. For Passport America parks, I follow the instructions as some places want reservations, some will only do drive ups and some will do both. I try to have more than one choice. Even if one of the choices is a Walmart. I rarely stay at a Walmart.

Latest resources

Back