Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Where's the battery disconnect on Newmar?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
When we store it, I've been clicking a red button just inside the door that says something about battery (sorry, I can't recall exactly what the label is). On our previous coach, the battery disconnect was at the back, and when that was turned off, even the power steps didn't work. But on the Newmar, the steps still work, and I figured it was some courtesy design....
But now, I've noticed twice, a "low battery" message when we come get her out of storage - one time it was less than 24 hours. We had the coach inspected before purchase, and batteries were tested as good.
We recently dropped it off for some minor mods, and asked about that. The service guy said he thought there might be another switch in an outside compartment - can't recall where - battery compartment maybe - and I didn't have a chance to go look before they took her off.
Does anyone know what could be draining our battery (no, I didn't leave the lights on ?).

The 12V disconnect is at the door. The chassis battery has a disconnect in its compartment. I’m not sure what engine you have but if Cummins diesel the low battery message is normal, wouldn’t worry about it. I had it this morning starting up after a month in storage on shore power, it’s just a high amp draw when starting that causes it.

House battery disconnect is a small switch on the passenger wall-side arm rest just inside the door.

Chassis battery disconnect is a red turn switch inside the chassis battery compartment

Keep in mind--even when doing the house disconnect inside, and the chassis disconnect outside, you will still have phantom draws.

If you are going to be storing for a long time, then I would add your own positive wire disconnect on the house batteries.

(we use positive wire to avoid issues with the magnum inverter seeking a ground thru the aux devices, and creating a short)

When we store it, I've been clicking a red button just inside the door that says something about battery (sorry, I can't recall exactly what the label is). On our previous coach, the battery disconnect was at the back, and when that was turned off, even the power steps didn't work. But on the Newmar, the steps still work, and I figured it was some courtesy design....
But now, I've noticed twice, a "low battery" message when we come get her out of storage - one time it was less than 24 hours. We had the coach inspected before purchase, and batteries were tested as good.
We recently dropped it off for some minor mods, and asked about that. The service guy said he thought there might be another switch in an outside compartment - can't recall where - battery compartment maybe - and I didn't have a chance to go look before they took her off.
Does anyone know what could be draining our battery (no, I didn't leave the lights on ?).
On our 2015 VLE 3636 the battery disconnect switch is in the overhead panel by the front door. Its the switch with the red light in the photo.

Attachments

• 7DEBA722-5DBF-4508-A621-7201E4F847D1.jpeg
    7DEBA722-5DBF-4508-A621-7201E4F847D1.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 109
On our 2015 VLE 3636 the battery disconnect switch is in the overhead panel by the front door. Its the switch with the red light in the photo.
That is house batteries (12V), different from Chassis. I think it was 2017 (maybe 2016) they put then at the entrance door for some reason.

The 12V disconnect is at the door. The chassis battery has a disconnect in its compartment. I’m not sure what engine you have but if Cummins diesel the low battery message is normal, wouldn’t worry about it. I had it this morning starting up after a month in storage on shore power, it’s just a high amp draw when starting that causes it.
Cummins, yes

House battery disconnect is a small switch on the passenger wall-side arm rest just inside the door.

Chassis battery disconnect is a red turn switch inside the chassis battery compartment
Yes, that's what I remember from previous mh.... a red turn switch .... When I get my baby back, I'll take a look around.

Yes we have a switch like that by the front door. That's the one I've been turning off.

Keep in mind--even when doing the house disconnect inside, and the chassis disconnect outside, you will still have phantom draws.

If you are going to be storing for a long time, then I would add your own positive wire disconnect on the house batteries.

(we use positive wire to avoid issues with the magnum inverter seeking a ground thru the aux devices, and creating a short)
interesting! But I don't plan to store it for long periods of time, going to be running it frequently! Define "a long time".

Latest resources

Back