Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
The A-10 error code is typically an easy fix, remove the lower right drain plug. For those with shedding dogs such as my daily shedder, you will become familiar with this error code. While I flew A-10's in the Air Force I don't appreciate the nostalgia my whirlpool washer provides me far too often. In recent uses I cannot get past this A-10 code. I've tried everything from the drain plug, power off, you name it. Next steps in troubleshooting is either a clog somewhere or the drain pump is defective.

Today was my day to rest, relax, enjoy a peaceful campground. NOPE, today was a day from hell. Doing this yourself is difficult and it's a lot of work but the moral of this story is many have a problem and just replace the unit. All compact washers are highly prone to problems, they are not reliable, so either throw thousands at it or learn to fix it. Today I did a lot of google research and came across great discussions, great guides, and tech videos. I removed the cabinet doors and all hinges, unscrewed the toilet from the floor and slid it against the wall as I learned to do when Newmar had a RV mobile tech come to remove this for a Whirlpool tech to do the typical door lock replacement (wrong fix for that issue) and replace boards. I then removed the dryer which wasn't nearly as bad as trying to get it back in.

Long story longer I disconnected the hoses to and from the drain pump and nothing was clogged, no signs of any problems. I had some trouble getting the hose back to the drum secure but eventually got it and reassembled everything and surprisingly didn't have any screws left over. Prior to stacking the dryer I ran a test cycle (normal) with a towel which failed this morning, after reassembling it worked fine. High speed spin, no A-10 errors codes, I could hear the drain pump pushing the water out, all checked good. I had a difficult time stacking the dryer myself getting the dryer hose and plug all where it needed to be so I busted the control knob off the washer, hopefully I can find a replacement, fortunately the break seems to be within the knob itself and not the washer side. Oh well, I did mark the off position with a marker so I can still use it. I did two loads of test laundry, both sets of towels and it worked perfectly.

I uploaded the guide I found to the resources area:

Here is a web site which I think is for tech training that has videos for just about everything. A little challenging to find some topics but they are there.

Off to find a replacement knob. If the price is right I may pickup a drain pump as it may be on its way out. I hope to never remove this washer and dryer again but now I know how should I need to.

NOT FUN!

IMG_2736.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg

I could not imagine even beginning to attempt that.

The A-10 error code is typically an easy fix, remove the lower right drain plug. For those with shedding dogs such as my daily shedder, you will become familiar with this error code. While I flew A-10's in the Air Force I don't appreciate the nostalgia my whirlpool washer provides me far too often. In recent uses I cannot get past this A-10 code. I've tried everything from the drain plug, power off, you name it. Next steps in troubleshooting is either a clog somewhere or the drain pump is defective.

Today was my day to rest, relax, enjoy a peaceful campground. NOPE, today was a day from hell. Doing this yourself is difficult and it's a lot of work but the moral of this story is many have a problem and just replace the unit. All compact washers are highly prone to problems, they are not reliable, so either throw thousands at it or learn to fix it. Today I did a lot of google research and came across great discussions, great guides, and tech videos. I removed the cabinet doors and all hinges, unscrewed the toilet from the floor and slid it against the wall as I learned to do when Newmar had a RV mobile tech come to remove this for a Whirlpool tech to do the typical door lock replacement (wrong fix for that issue) and replace boards. I then removed the dryer which wasn't nearly as bad as trying to get it back in.

Long story longer I disconnected the hoses to and from the drain pump and nothing was clogged, no signs of any problems. I had some trouble getting the hose back to the drum secure but eventually got it and reassembled everything and surprisingly didn't have any screws left over. Prior to stacking the dryer I ran a test cycle (normal) with a towel which failed this morning, after reassembling it worked fine. High speed spin, no A-10 errors codes, I could hear the drain pump pushing the water out, all checked good. I had a difficult time stacking the dryer myself getting the dryer hose and plug all where it needed to be so I busted the control knob off the washer, hopefully I can find a replacement, fortunately the break seems to be within the knob itself and not the washer side. Oh well, I did mark the off position with a marker so I can still use it. I did two loads of test laundry, both sets of towels and it worked perfectly.

I uploaded the guide I found to the resources area:

Here is a web site which I think is for tech training that has videos for just about everything. A little challenging to find some topics but they are there.

Off to find a replacement knob. If the price is right I may pickup a drain pump as it may be on its way out. I hope to never remove this washer and dryer again but now I know how should I need to.

NOT FUN!

View attachment 6467View attachment 6468
Elli seems quite entertained by the saga? Judy D

How about printing the knob on your 3D printer?

How about printing the knob on your 3D printer?
Absolutely, that has already crossed my mind and I'm in need of some Fusion 360 tinkering (CAD/CAM). I think it's a great candidate for some fun but first I am seeing if I can find a knob. It looks like it's sold as part of an entire upper display module for around $240 so my wish to do some printing may come true. :)

I think the culprit in the drain may have been external to the washing machine. I lifted the drain line out of the black pipe behind the washer and wonder if there have been drain issues there?? Maybe removing and reinserting it fixed that problem, for now at least. I wish I would have looked in there with a flashlight as I wonder how Newmar is actually doing that drain to avoid odors coming back up? Is it a duckbill type setup or is there some check valve? How could hard water or dog hair affect that path?

Can you stick a water hose and try to flush it out?

Can you stick a water hose and try to flush it out?
Not now that everything is back in place but if I have to do this again then I will certainly be cleaning that path.

I have a grypmat at home for the plane. Magnetic parts tray is also a good option:

I remember when Cummins did my head gasket replacement they had a tray with dividers to keep the screws together based on their groups of where they came from. It's one thing having a gazillion screws rolling around, it's another remembering where they go. Having some order and separation would help.

Latest resources

Back