Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Why would someone steal our Newmar “rock guard flap” (advertising board)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bpaikman

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3436
RV Length
35 feet
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We’ve stored our motorhome at this place in the past, and just brought our new-to-us motorhome in for storage last week. We love the place, inexpensive covered storage, close to us, the owner is right on top of everything, AND he has a dump site, which is very convenient pre-storage.
But it has been three years since we last used him, (he had a waiting list with five people ahead of us but he moved us to the front because he knows us)… We noticed that he has expanded about 50%, and out of a couple of hundred RVs, it seemed to me that the … ummm. quality …. of the units there might not be the greatest? Several RVs are out right now, but I did notice that of a 100+plus RVs, I see only 4-5 motorhomes (and one of them looks like it should be condemned). Lots of boats, trailers. Only 1/2 of his storage is covered, so it might be pretty cheap to just parkmit on his lot. We pay $100/month for covered 3 sides.
Anyhow, we took the motorhome out to have it inspected Wednesday afternoon… When we returned it, the storage owner was chatting with my husband and I was looking at the sign board on the rear bottom of the coach … I was thinking about forum comments that some say those are bad to catch rocks and throw them onto toads, and they’re nothing more than brand advertising boards, and some people remove them. I was thinking …it’s rather pretty…
The next day, we again came to get the motorhome to have it weighed… And the signboard was missing! It’s pure coincidence that I had been looking at it less than 24 hours earlier.
Did it drop off somewhere without me hearing it?. I only drove into town to the inspection station - all paved roads and highway.. we just returned from a 3000 mile trip across the western US and hadn’t lost it.
Did someone at the storage yard steal it? Why, in heaven’s name? (I attached a photo of an identical sign board from a different coach) 9F252EB9-950B-4A69-9F52-4AB208E17A8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine was half off going to Coeur D'Alene as a trucker pulled up next to me telling me there was an issue. The vinyl/rubber can easily tear so I had one side off. I removed and discarded it. So entirely possible it fell off.

Have you ever taken one of those things off? They are HEAVY!! Mine was damaged when I dropped a rear wheel off the road making an extremely tight turn around a lake in a State Park that was not meant for 40' RVs. It got bent. So when I got home I took it off top straighten it. WOW!!! That thing was heavy!!

Mine was half off going to Coeur D'Alene as a trucker pulled up next to me telling me there was an issue. The vinyl/rubber can easily tear so I had one side off. I removed and discarded it. So entirely possible it fell off.
Yeah, I guess I could backtrack I don’t think I‘d find it. I got to thinking later thar I don’t know if I would hear it if it fell off

Have you ever taken one of those things off? They are HEAVY!! Mine was damaged when I dropped a rear wheel off the road making an extremely tight turn around a lake in a State Park that was not meant for 40' RVs. It got bent. So when I got home I took it off top straighten it. WOW!!! That thing was heavy!!
Yeah I was thinking the same and I thought I would hear it if it fell off but I realize the front of the coaches a long ways from the back and i don’t think i would hear it.

We’ve stored our motorhome at this place in the past, and just brought our new-to-us motorhome in for storage last week. We love the place, inexpensive covered storage, close to us, the owner is right on top of everything, AND he has a dump site, which is very convenient pre-storage.
But it has been three years since we last used him, (he had a waiting list with five people ahead of us but he moved us to the front because he knows us)… We noticed that he has expanded about 50%, and out of a couple of hundred RVs, it seemed to me that the … ummm. quality …. of the units there might not be the greatest? Several RVs are out right now, but I did notice that of a 100+plus RVs, I see only 4-5 motorhomes (and one of them looks like it should be condemned). Lots of boats, trailers. Only 1/2 of his storage is covered, so it might be pretty cheap to just parkmit on his lot. We pay $100/month for covered 3 sides.
Anyhow, we took the motorhome out to have it inspected Wednesday afternoon… When we returned it, the storage owner was chatting with my husband and I was looking at the sign board on the rear bottom of the coach … I was thinking about forum comments that some say those are bad to catch rocks and throw them onto toads, and they’re nothing more than brand advertising boards, and some people remove them. I was thinking …it’s rather pretty…
The next day, we again came to get the motorhome to have it weighed… And the signboard was missing! It’s pure coincidence that I had been looking at it less than 24 hours earlier.
Did it drop off somewhere without me hearing it?. I only drove into town to the inspection station - all paved roads and highway.. we just returned from a 3000 mile trip across the western US and hadn’t lost it.
Did someone at the storage yard steal it? Why, in heaven’s name? (I attached a photo of an identical sign board from a different coach)View attachment 9428
Mine was stolen at a Park. Don't know which one but it was gone during the last trip. Newmar says "you might be surprised". Well I sure was, and saddened. The replacement cost was around $600 with me doing the work. It will put on a little more permanent this time.

Probably best price NOT buying from Newmar. This is where I got mine:

I took mine off a few months after purchase due to occasionally finding pebbles in the windshield well. Attempted to raise it but couldn't. Since it's been off no pebbles being found in the windshield well. I don't miss it.

I took mine off a few months after purchase due to occasionally finding pebbles in the windshield well. Attempted to raise it but couldn't. Since it's been off no pebbles being found in the windshield well. I don't miss it.
I'm embarrassed to say that I finally realized we never did have a plate because I found a photo of our motorhome at the home with the original owner on Google Earth. I think I have looked at so many Newmars online and thought we had a flap. And I have not missed it.

I'm embarrassed to say that I finally realized we never did have a plate because I found a photo of our motorhome at the home with the original owner on Google Earth. I think I have looked at so many Newmars online and thought we had a flap. And I have not missed it.

I'm confused, did you not have a full conversation with yourself whilst looking at it?

Latest resources

Back