Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Finally made some progress on the WiFi (Internet) issue. As expected, the pricing is based on the plan, with the lowest plan being $600 a month, and provides 50mb up/down of speed. From what I'm told, this is adequate to stream 1080 video and normal Internet browsing for a campground the size of mine. But when you start to stream 4K movies, it's woefully inadequate.

The next plan up, which would support a campground of 4K streamers, is about $1,000 a month. So my question today is, how many of you stream 4K videos when you are camping?

4K not required and in your area just basic Internet is all that should be required. Email, web browsing, etc. Providers will automatically set the resolution based on stream and capability tests, i.e. YouTube will only show in the format you can handle. Don't waste money, we have things to build.

I certainly can't speak for the half million dollar plus type coach folks but I like to think most of us know that we left our HDR 4K surround sound entertainment centers at home and are good with being able to just stream something or another. Thanks for the extra consideration though, it speaks well of you.

Well in my opinion if we were to camp where I could stream any kind of video it would be a huge plus over most campground WIFI offerings. Given my understanding of your remote & no cell location I would think the 50mb solution would be sufficient and much appreciated by many of your guests. Seems to me if 4K streaming via campground WIFI is a requirement then most of those folks will not be camping much.

I like to be able to check email and do a little internet surfing but thats it, and I don’t need it everywhere I camp. Id be much more inclined to enjoy a gazebo with a bbq and fireplace than stream tv shows.

I do, but I don’t have to.

Well, it's a decision that I can't take lightly as it requires a 5-year commitment at $600 a month. Actually, the true cost it more like $1,200 a month as the park is only open 6-months out of the year and the Internet service can not be turned off during the closed months.

So it's a big decision, for sure. And the only way to pay for it is to raise the cost of each nights stay by $5.00 a night. Standard sites are currently $50 a night, $45 if you book a week. Premium Sites are $55/$50. So Standard would have to go to $55/$50 and Premium would have to go to $60/$55. That might be a deal breaker for many people.

Premium Plus sites are $65/$60, so raising them to $70/65 might be tough as well. Although the past has shown that the people who stay in the Premium Plus sites don't seem to be swayed one way or the other by $5 a night.

But after a quick sneak-peak at pricing of one of the RV site in town (The Great Outdoors), their Standard sites are $77 a night. Yes, they have a pool and provide cable tv, but in my opinion, their actual sites are not anywhere near as nice, or as large, as our.

So even if we had to go up $5 a night, we're sill $22 a night less expensive.

Dang! Camping is getting expensive!

How bout just doing without? Plenty of folks have satellite stuff (I removed my dish/winegard unit to make room for more solar) and maybe a few days or a week or so without internet would be a good thing. And one can always take the toad and hop in to town.

How bout just doing without? Plenty of folks have satellite stuff (I removed my dish/winegard unit to make room for more solar) and maybe a few days or a week or so without internet would be a good thing. And one can always take the toad and hop in to town.
I wish I could, but many of today's campers need to stay connected, either for work, medical, or other reasons. We have no cell service out here so it's difficult for people to get messages when they need them.

If we could get cell service, we wouldn't need to install Internet. Cell service would give our visitors both cell and Internet communication. But with no cell service, they have neither. :(

Good Internet will give our visitors both Internet capabilities as well as cell service (via VOIP). So given the lack of cell service, the addition of Internet seems crucial.

We have a portable hardline phone at the office that everyone can carry around the park or take back to their RV to use. But it's really only a patch and we really need to provide something better.

Latest resources

Back