• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Roamward Bound

RVF Newbee

WiFi/TV​

My RV is prewired for Winegard ConnecT. If I buy the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 WiFi antenna, will I then be able to stream most TV programs I choose and want to watch? I already own a router & a Roku stick. - I am new to full-time RVing, and am learning how it all works. I did stream in my condo the past 4-5 years. Please inform. Thanks, Gary Hanson

WiFi/TV​

...will I then be able to stream most TV programs I choose and want to watch?...
Sadly, probably not

The major road block is quality WIFI. Most RV Parks have a very low end system and when everyone tries to connect it kills what little bandwidth they have.

My business is dependent on the internet and I have made an investment in outdoor antennas, router, and Verizon Data plans and I'm very happy with it. The down side is paying for all of it.

I had the Connect 2.0 on our last unit. I installed it. I placed a AT&T sim card in it too. I did not use it for picking up WIFI in parks.
I used my unlimited AT&T sim data plan. I went from NC to Wyoming and back and never once lost connection. Speed is nothing to speak of though. Best I ever got from it was 15megs download and 3 upload. Still way more than enough to stream TV from my Roku. Would let the TV run while using two PC's surfing and that was while parked at Coulter bay employee campground. Everyone else was on the slow employee WIIFI. I know 2 others who bought and installed what we had so they could gain access. LOL

I tested it at home for a WIFI extension. It did work OK. That part will however always depend on the RV park your in.
Most of them are slow and can't handle the traffic they get from a half full park. ON a brighter note the off air antenna worked really well.

Last edited:
As stated above, we have found Campground WiFi to be unreliable or lacking entirely from much of our travels across the US. A sim card and decent unlimited plan is a much better alternative. We use Verizon unlimited which works well for us. ATT works for some folks as well. We personally don’t use ATT after some issues with their Helpless Desk.

Last edited:
As stated above, we have found Campground WiFi to be unreliable or lacking entirely from much of our travels across the US. A sim card and decent unlimited plan is a much better alternative. We use Verizon unlimited which works well for us. ATT works for some folks as well. We personally don’t use ATT after some issues with their Helpless Desk.
By Verizon "unlimited," are you referring to Verizon's "Always On" WiFi option? - I had Roku prior to going full-time RVing, but towards the end of condo-living I had to add Hulu in order to get the programming I wanted. Are you able to get ESPN, Newsmax, FOX news, etc.? I'd also like to be able to pick up the Big Ten network, and be able to use my Alexa device, which I have not used since occupying my travel trailer. Any and all help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary

By Verizon "unlimited," are you referring to Verizon's "Always On" WiFi option? - I had Roku prior to going full-time RVing, but towards the end of condo-living I had to add Hulu in order to get the programming I wanted. Are you able to get ESPN, Newsmax, FOX news, etc.? I'd also like to be able to pick up the Big Ten network, and be able to use my Alexa device, which I have not used since occupying my travel trailer. Any and all help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary
We use Verizon Cell Phone service almost entirely. There is a Verizon Sim card installed in the Router that provides internet service

We use Verizon Cell Phone service almost entirely. There is a Verizon Sim card installed in the Router that provides internet service
Without being too nosy, may I ask ball park what the monthly cost is? I'm getting ready to go full time and this one thing I need to look at and consider. Cricket used to have a mobile hot spot I used maybe 8 years or so ago and the price was pretty reasonable. I'm just curious as to what I'm looking at roughly. I'd appreciate it. Peace and Happy Trails.

Verizon “Unlimited” is a cheap add on $20/mo. But if you plan to replace your internet for full time living, you will want to look into a Commercial account.

I had the Connect 2.0 on our last unit. I installed it. I placed a AT&T sim card in it too. I did not use it for picking up WIFI in parks.
I used my unlimited AT&T sim data plan. I went from NC to Wyoming and back and never once lost connection. Speed is nothing to speak of though. Best I ever got from it was 15megs download and 3 upload. Still way more than enough to stream TV from my Roku. Would let the TV run while using two PC's surfing and that was while parked at Coulter bay employee campground. Everyone else was on the slow employee WIIFI. I know 2 others who bought and installed what we had so they could gain access. LOL

I tested it at home for a WIFI extension. It did work OK. That part will however always depend on the RV park your in.
Most of them are slow and can't handle the traffic they get from a half full park. ON a brighter note the off air antenna worked really well.
Call me dumb or uninformed, but just what is a Connect 2.0. We are trying to get away form direct tv and have put new smart tvs in our coach and I'm looking for the best way to stream without using my phone hot spot. I have hulu but it won't let me use it in our coach, I'm looking into Youtube TV? If I can't stream I have purchased an hdmi adapter that works with my phone and just hook it to an hdmi port and watch it on the tv, not quite as clear but works.

pharbuck,
Might I suggest you go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center. The free section is more than adequate to familiarize you with the various equipment & methods to acquire internet connectivity.
There are all sorts of options available. Many on this forum (including myself) have chosen to use products from Peplink to provide internet connectivity while traveling in their RVs. These devices seem to work very well with data only cellular plans.
There are also a variety of conversations on line with regards to 'cutting the cord'. Users that are moving away from cable & satellite TV & using the internet to stream media.
I use a combination of ROKU devices, OTA antenna, PLEX, SLING & the Peplink cellular modem/router. Generally speaking, RV park WiFi is not very good. However, with my Peplink setup, I can easily take advantage of it when it is decent enough to use.
The link below provides information on the Connect 2.0.

Latest resources

Back