Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Will it hurt my fifth wheel camper to remove it's goose neck hitch and have a fifth wheel hitch added instead?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DianeD

RVF Regular
I started with a fifth wheel hitch on my camper but removed it for the gooseneck. However, the bottom of my fifth wheel overhang area is getting shredded by my truck somehow and so I need to go back to the fifth wheel hitch but worry about compromising my camper by making yet another hitch change..... Thank you!

Since it had a 5th wheel hitch on it in the first place, can you just remount it in the same location? I can't see how that would compromise anything. Now, if you had to make significant structural changes to convert to the gooseneck, that might be another issue. If the bottom of the 5th wheel overhang is damaged, it should be repaired as part of the process.

TJ

Short answer is no. Your trailer was designed for a king pin and some goose neck hitches actually put more stress on the frame.

You might be best served by calling the manufacturer of the 5th wheel and ask your questions.

Short answer is no. Your trailer was designed for a king pin and some goose neck hitches actually put more stress on the frame.
Good thread! I have thought about going the other way, to a goose neck. I have read many don't recommend it because the trailer was made to be fifth. As per @Gronk Going back to fifth may be better for your trailer.
I chose to not go goose neck because of the laws not clear about double pull and didn't want to put up with law interpretation.

The bottom of your rig is getting damaged by hitting the top of your truck bed when turning while going down an abrupt grade. Changing back to a pin box will not change this without raising the front of your trailer. Isn’t your gooseneck adjustable? If so, raise it up a few inches. Your trailer may not look as level as you may like but your really don’t have a choice regardless of which hitch type you have. The higher sides on the beds of the newer trucks makes this a problem with some setups. I had the same issue after purchasing a née GM 2500 truck.

Here is an interesting discussion of 5th wheel hitches

This it a great riding hitch: It's also the hitch I have.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back