Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

togue

RVF Regular
We're interested in purchasing our first ever motor-home: a 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T with 22K miles
Winnebago brochure says GVWR is 26,000, GCWR is 30,000
By my math, that means it can only tow 4000 lbs. But -

A previous search found it has hitch weight 10,000.
RV-USA specs say tow capacity is 5000 lbs.
Another dealer's info sheet says cargo weight of this type of motorhome is 3382 lbs
There is a fair amount of discrepancy between various sources of information.

Since we're selling our seasonal home in FL to buy this motor home, we'd like to bring a number of items with us back to our full-time home in Maine.
Can this unit comfortably tow my 2015 1/2 ton with GM's quoted curb weight between 4702 and 5155 lbs, while maxing the GVWR?
My definition of "comfortably tow" means no significant problems going up/down hills AND no damage to the motorhome. Thanks for any help.

Towing and capacities are always a tough topic. If you are just bringing things one way, have you considered just driving the truck as well with a U-Haul trailer behind that? Just a thought.
Ken

GVWR and towing capacity are two different things. Gross Vehicle weight is the vehicle loaded weight (Cargo/fuel/water/passengers etc.) on the tires and suspension. The GCWR would be adding any tongue weight like a heavy trailer. If you are dingy towing, that doesn't add to it. Towing capacity makes a difference on your HP/torque and braking system to be able to pull and stop the trailer or toad hence the need for supplemental braking systems on the towed vehicle. Where I live it's anything above 1,500 lbs. Just make sure that the horsepower is enough to get you up the hills. That is my understanding from everything I've read on the subject. Clear as mud?

GVWR and towing capacity are two different things. Gross Vehicle weight is the vehicle loaded weight (Cargo/fuel/water/passengers etc.) on the tires and suspension. The GCWR would be adding any tongue weight like a heavy trailer. If you are dingy towing, that doesn't add to it. Towing capacity makes a difference on your HP/torque and braking system to be able to pull and stop the trailer or toad hence the need for supplemental braking systems on the towed vehicle. Where I live it's anything above 1,500 lbs. Just make sure that the horsepower is enough to get you up the hills. That is my understanding from everything I've read on the subject. Clear as mud?
I was pretty sure that I read on a number of sites that a flat towed vehicle counts toward GCWR? Any help from others would be extremely welcome while I try to decide on the need to sell my pickup just to buy a less well equipped toad.

Towing and capacities are always a tough topic. If you are just bringing things one way, have you considered just driving the truck as well with a U-Haul trailer behind that? Just a thought.
Ken
My wife couldn't drive the truck all over the place while we meander our way From FL back to our home in Maine over the next few months.

Rule of thumb and common sense tells me that if you're running a gasser, I wouldn't tow anything heavier than 4K anyway unless you're loaded on the light side. But you're right, these things are hard to figure when you're so close to the limits.

Rule of thumb and common sense tells me that if you're running a gasser, I wouldn't tow anything heavier than 4K anyway unless you're loaded on the light side. But you're right, these things are hard to figure when you're so close to the limits.
It is a small (36') diesel pusher, but since we're selling our house in FL, we're hoping to bring some extra non-camping stuff back to Maine.

If you're running a diesel, I'd take it for a spin, see how it drives. You can always have have your wife drive the truck if you're going to pull some steep grades.
Good luck

We're interested in purchasing our first ever motor-home: a 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T with 22K miles
Winnebago brochure says GVWR is 26,000, GCWR is 30,000
By my math, that means it can only tow 4000 lbs. But -

A previous search found it has hitch weight 10,000.
RV-USA specs say tow capacity is 5000 lbs.
Another dealer's info sheet says cargo weight of this type of motorhome is 3382 lbs
There is a fair amount of discrepancy between various sources of information.

Since we're selling our seasonal home in FL to buy this motor home, we'd like to bring a number of items with us back to our full-time home in Maine.
Can this unit comfortably tow my 2015 1/2 ton with GM's quoted curb weight between 4702 and 5155 lbs, while maxing the GVWR?
My definition of "comfortably tow" means no significant problems going up/down hills AND no damage to the motorhome. Thanks for any help.
We have a 2020 Forza 34t and regularly tow a GMC 1/2 ton pickup.

Not having problems up and down hills is more a driving ability thing. Exceeding your GCWR is a liability thing. One thing you can do to cheat a little is to carry less cargo and use some of the GVWR capacity to contribute to your GCWR capacity, if and only if you don’t exceed your GCWR.

The only way to know if you are in or out of spec is to weigh the whole outfit. Published specs are just estimates and you’ll never know for sure unless you have it all weighed. And finding out after something happens could really spoil your day.

As an example of published specs being unreliable, the vehicle would have to have an unloaded weight of only 22,618 to have both a GVWR of 26,000 and a net cargo carrying capacity of 3382, which is unlikely. So that indicates the dealer’s info sheet is incorrect for whatever reason. Once again, the only way to know for sure is to visit the scales.

Latest resources

Back