• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Travelgal

RVF Newbee
Hi,
I am about to store my class B camper(1999 Dodge Xplorer)for the winter in Wisconsin. This will be my 3rd winter doing this but the previous 2 winters I have been home. I have stored it covered in my driveway plugged into power and have gone out once a month to start it up, run the generator and move it so the tires can rotate a little. This winter I will be gone for 6 months so I will not be able to do that and it will just be sitting there the whole time. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the best things to do to prepare for that?

I have already removed everything I can from the camper, drained the water and run antifreeze through the lines, filled the gas tank, added SeaFoam, put mouse deterrent packets around inside, placed mothball cakes in the engine compartment and will be parking it on wood panels so the tires(which will be covered)are not on concrete. Should I remove the batteries (house and engine)? Should I leave it plugged into my house power? Anything extra I should do to the generator (Onan gas generator)? Any help will be appreciated as I am really nervous about leaving it unchecked and untouched over the winter.
Thank you,
Carolyn

If you are going to leave it for that long pull your battery and put it in the house. If you have a maintainer then you could put it on the battery, but that shouldn't be necessary. I have had boat batteries sit all winter in central Minnesota. I would just charge them before installation. On my fiver (when I was winterizing it) I would just disconnect the battery and hook it back up in the spring.

Stored on blocks Tires off the ground, will keep the tires round.

Stored on blocks Tires off the ground, will keep the tires round.
Parked on wood I know it sat for a year on gravel I could not hear any thumping when I dragged home. Where do you jack up a 5th i never thought of it. Do you jack on the frame? The axel doesn't look strong enough. What kind of jack should I carry ( floor, bottle ) ?
Thanks
TB

I use a floor jack. I use the spring shackle locations to jack up the frame. My jack stands I place at the U-bolts as the axle is designed to take the weight at that location.

10-4 thanks Kevin off to harbor for some stands.

Latest resources

Back