RV Model
Cedar Creek 311RL 5th Wheel
RV Length
35'
TOW/TOAD
F350 Super Duty
Fulltimer
No
My new RV has an ice maker and I'll need to make pink ice cubes so that I know the anti-freeze is protecting it over winter. My question is how to get anti-freeze into the fresh water tank easily. I'm looking at a 60 dollar pump on Amazon to pump the anti-freeze into the fresh water tank through a connected hose. Just wondering if there are any easier ways to go about this from you seasoned pro's before I drop 60 bucks? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Different RV's have different procedures. All I can speak to is mine and with mine there is a tube that is aft of the fresh tank to draw RV anti-freeze into the fresh water lines. You may also want to use compressed air to blow out the system first to remove water from the lines. Again, it's important to try and find the procedure particular to your RV.

I have a built-in hose that I can turn on with a bypass that will suck the anti-freeze into the system from the jug of anti-freeze but I don't think that will suck it into the fresh water tank. Now I could let it sit there for an hour or so and let the ice maker pull it in that way and just wait until I see pink ice cubes. I'll just have to test it out and see what it does. My biggest gripe with Forrest River is our lack of documentation that came with the RV, it's horrible.

You don't want it in the fresh tank, you just want it in the coach. Empty your fresh tank and you'll be fine. If you feel more comfortable with some in the fresh tank you could probably put it in the house filter assuming there is a filter setup prior to the fresh tank? But for most cases the fresh tank doesn't need it as long as it's empty. Remember how ice breaks things is through expansion when water freezes.

No I won't leave it in the fresh tank when I'm done. I'm only trying to get it in the fresh tank for the ice maker to pull from to get that winterized. My ice maker can take a couple of hours to pull in the fluid to make ice. Once I see pink cubes, then I can drain the fresh water tank and it will remain empty all winter.

Matt, look at your manual for the procedure for winterizing. There may be a easy way in it.

Latest resources

Back