Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ud56

RVF Regular
I’m trying to install the shunt. The neg wire from my battery goes into a junction box that is on my tongue and is screwed to the frame. Then there is a bunch of neg wires connected together with a wire nut. There is one white wire that comes from the inch of wires and that is screwed to the frame. The other wires go into a wire Luke and I don’t know where they go. Underbelly is enclosed and it’s been to cold to get under there and take it down. I want to move my battery inside my front storage. I’ve enclosed some pictures.

Attachments

• 987A09E6-B965-4BEA-8D5D-A73835103584.jpeg
    987A09E6-B965-4BEA-8D5D-A73835103584.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • CBB59050-9EC0-405E-8A2B-AA734EFEBBDA.jpeg
    CBB59050-9EC0-405E-8A2B-AA734EFEBBDA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 71169F63-7CC5-4EFE-A23B-797D3788FD3D.jpeg
    71169F63-7CC5-4EFE-A23B-797D3788FD3D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • F578F230-A3B1-4717-B956-C007DF1AD938.jpeg
    F578F230-A3B1-4717-B956-C007DF1AD938.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 9FFC1108-135A-45AB-B8DE-CF5DCD4F7E02.jpeg
    9FFC1108-135A-45AB-B8DE-CF5DCD4F7E02.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Really doesn't matter where the negative goes when it leaves the battery. The shunt needs to go between the battery and your junction box. I just got a 6 inch piece of wire and attached it to the battery and then the battery side of shunt. Current negative wire then goes on the load side of the shunt.
Sounds like you may need a longer run of cable to go from inside back out to the junction box.

Hi - What happened to this thread?

Really doesn't matter where the negative goes when it leaves the battery. The shunt needs to go between the battery and your junction box. I just got a 6 inch piece of wire and attached it to the battery and then the battery side of shunt. Current negative wire then goes on the load side of the shunt.
Sounds like you may need a longer run of cable to go from inside back out to the junction box.
Yes I know I can run a separate wire from neg. On battery to shunt. But if the current wire from the battery goes on the load side of the shunt which that wire is attached to the frame what about all the other neg. Wires. How is the shunt going to monitor anything if nothing but the original neg. Battery cable is connected to the load which is grounded to the frame?

Hi - What happened to this thread?

As close as possible

I think I innerstand their logic. Trailer brakes used the frame for negative circuit. Because the house battery is the power for the emergency brake away it must use the frame as well. Or at least be connected to the frame.

Run your wire from the wire nut to the shunt as your only negative connection. This will account for the entire circuit load including any that the brake circuit would add.

I think I innerstand their logic. Trailer brakes used the frame for negative circuit. Because the house battery is the power for the emergency brake away it must use the frame as well. Or at least be connected to the frame.

Run your wire from the wire nut to the shunt as your only negative connection. This will account for the entire circuit load including any that the brake circuit would add.
. Here are two videos I think makes sense if I take the neg. Wire from the battery and attach to the load side of the shunt. That wire is grounded to the frame along with the other wire that comes from the bundle of wires that are connected together. It seems the manufacturer is using the frame as a ground for everything back to the battery to complete the circuit. What do you think? Thanks so much for your help. I called Heartland and the couldn’t even provide me a wiring schematic. They said they don’t use them! I called the place where I got the monitor and they were no help. This is the only place I think that someone that needs help can get it. What do you think would happen at your job if you were as incompetent as these rv manufacturers are at theirs.

Yes the frame is a ground.
Steel is a lousy conductor.
Running lights, and brakes use that conductor.
But the house doesn't.

I wrote what you watched, I just tried to add some theory to the mix. (To much information).
I know many of us here are blushing, with your kind words, thanks.

Oh! As a retired industrial electrician, we used blue prints, but most things are as built! Meaning we had to first build to code,and avoid other utilities. Don't expect automobile wiring diagrams, they aren't available for most manufacturers. I am okay with that!

Yes the frame is a ground.
Steel is a lousy conductor.
Running lights, and brakes use that conductor.
But the house doesn't.

I wrote what you watched, I just tried to add some theory to the mix. (To much information).
I know many of us here are blushing, with your kind words, thanks.

Oh! As a retired industrial electrician, we used blue prints, but most things are as built! Meaning we had to first build to code,and avoid other utilities. Don't expect automobile wiring diagrams, they aren't available for most manufacturers. I am okay with that!
But if you look at the pictures the wires bundled together with the wire nut has a larger wire,I believe is a #8, coming out and is connected to the frame. So doesn’t that mean the house is grounded to the frame? So your saying running neg. Wire that was connected to battery to the load of the shunt wouldn’t work? Because if I don’t do that then the battery isn’t directly grounded? Also I don’t think I can fit one more wire in that junction box and on that wire nut it’s very tight in there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back