Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

KScanlon

RVF Newbee
I bought a 2017 Toyota Highlander with a towing capacity of 5000. Part of the purchase was to have the dealer install the wiring harness to two a 3000# camper. They installed a 4 pin, but now I am told I need a 7 pin. I found a conversion kit, but when I got it the instructions state not for use with an electric brake controller. Ugh!
It appears I will need to take it to a RV dealer to have the 7 pin wiring harness “hard wired” Advice? Where to take it? Is the 7 pin hard wiring needed? Approx cost? Thanks for any info on this.

You need the 7 pin I believe. You will need electric breaks on the camper. Not sure on the cost. Can you go back where you bought the camper. They should install for you. They know you need it.

I bought a 2017 Toyota Highlander with a towing capacity of 5000. Part of the purchase was to have the dealer install the wiring harness to two a 3000# camper. They installed a 4 pin, but now I am told I need a 7 pin. I found a conversion kit, but when I got it the instructions state not for use with an electric brake controller. Ugh!
It appears I will need to take it to a RV dealer to have the 7 pin wiring harness “hard wired” Advice? Where to take it? Is the 7 pin hard wiring needed? Approx cost? Thanks for any info on this.
The flat 4 is for small utility and boat trailers. The 7 pin you are talking about is round. It needs to be installed on your vehicle by someone that knows what they are doing. Part of the 7 include electric breaks. You will also end up with a break actuator mounted inside your vehicle on the bottom part of your dash. The actual part inside the vehicle is about $100. There will also be a piece that needs to be installed to complete the circuit. You might want to check with your Toyota dealer to be sure the parts are correct. They would probably do the work as well. The total price will come down to weather your vehicle is pre-wired for it. If so, it will save some money.
Ken

Last edited:
If you're interested in doing this yourself, here's a good video from someone who has done it.

Thanks. Buying it privately.
What are you buying privately? You will need the 7-pin trailer wiring kit. Since you already have the 4-pin, assuming it was installed correctly, you already have the wiring for brake, tail, and turn signal lights. That makes it easier. You will need to splice the 7-pin connector into those respective wires going to the 4-pin connector. Then you will need to run 2 wires from the 7-pin connector all the way into the engine compartment. One will connect directly to the battery through a circuit breaker. Then you need to run a wire from the battery, through the firewall, along with the second wire from the 7-pin connector, to the brake controller. Then you need to splice into the brake light switch on your brake pedal and that goes to the brake controller as well. It's really pretty easy. One poster said that if your Highlander was pre-wired it would make it easier - but if your Highlander was pre-wired, it would already have a 7-pin connector permanently installed, so it likely is not. Another poster stated wiring backup lights with the 7-pin connector. Very few 7-pin connectors have the extra pin for backup lights wired to anything and unless you do something custom to your trailer you won't need a backup light signal to it anyway.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back