Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
To allow owners to avoid DPF filter stop engine situations and know when to initiate regens if needed, please work with your chassis vendors and Cummins to have the DPF filter level (phase or percent) shown on the menu. And/or show an amber warning with a number if it reaches a level where the engine is not signaling auto regens satisfactorily so the owner can do a forced regen and get the DPF filter cleared before it's too late. I had a stop engine situation with a phase 5 (fully clogged) DPF filter that could have been avoided with better info and feedback via the dash panel.

Neal, on my diesel wrangler, I used a Scangauge ll plugged into the obd port, and it could be configured to show mass soot level and indicate when a regen was happening (I've driven around the neighborhood a few times to complete the regen when necessary). Not sure if it's available for Frieghtliner or Spartan electronics, (see link below) but it worked great with the EcoDiesel.

Neal, on my diesel wrangler, I used a Scangauge ll plugged into the obd port, and it could be configured to show mass soot level and indicate when a regen was happening (I've driven around the neighborhood a few times to complete the regen when necessary). Not sure if it's available for Frieghtliner or Spartan electronics, (see link below) but it worked great with the EcoDiesel.
Thanks, I see it's available on Amazon:

@redbaron how does this compare to the one you linked?

I just checked my BlueFire for soot level. On the Drive page under 'Aftertreatment' it lists "DPF Pressure, DPF Intake Temp, DPF Exhaust Temp, DPF Ash Percent and DPF Soot Percent." There is a gauge showing DPF Intake Pressure which I think indicates the differential pressure in the DPF that can be added to your dash.

I also have the Diesel Decoder (pictured below along with a screenshot) which gives data on everything the ECM tracks (maybe too much info - much more than OTR), includes the SPN associated wih each parameter, and shows a lot of other driver, trip, and vehicle info. It’s quick, easy to use, no internet needed, all that. But it does not have a means to clear codes, initiate emissions commands such as re-sets, or perform regens. I got it to verify what I was seeing on the OTR app.

Since the “shorting plug” method only works with the DPF light on (and apparently Spartan doesn't even have this adjunct), the ability to do preemptive regens as a maintenance item requires a device that has this function. There are quite a few on the market that claim they do this, but I’ve heard varying reports on the validy of that claim.

I’m testing this device soon: Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen and since it doesn't require a subscription, it is more economical than OTR. Also they have some used right now for 1/2 price. It may not allow all the commands that OTR does (last pic) but I won’t know that until I get it.

, 7B82511C-E1E2-45C0-926D-EEF6A411E424.jpeg70480212-823D-40E2-AABD-182D3E13669B.pngBEA88AE3-6239-4E6C-87E8-B5DC09CD62DB.png

I also have the Diesel Decoder (pictured below along with a screenshot) which gives data on everything the ECM tracks (maybe too much info - much more than OTR), includes the SPN associated wih each parameter, and shows a lot of other driver, trip, and vehicle info. It’s quick, easy to use, no internet needed, all that. But it does not have a means to clear codes, initiate emissions commands such as re-sets, or perform regens. I got it to verify what I was seeing on the OTR app.

Since the “shorting plug” method only works with the DPF light on (and apparently Spartan doesn't even have this adjunct), the ability to do preemptive regens as a maintenance item requires a device that has this function. There are quite a few on the market that claim they do this, but I’ve heard varying reports on the validy of that claim.

I’m testing this device soon: Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen and since it doesn't require a subscription, it is more economical than OTR. Also they have some used right now for 1/2 price. It may not allow all the commands that OTR does (last pic) but I won’t know that until I get it.

, View attachment 14392View attachment 14393View attachment 14394
Hey there Rich. What can you tell us about your experience with this Diesel Laptops Handheld Scan Tool? Thumbs up or down?

I most likely have the same drivetrain and chassis as you in my 2017 Ventana 3709.

Laurent

Very thumbs up. I used OTR for two years and its very good but the subscription is $600/year and until the most recent version required an internet connection. Now it has limited use with no connection. I was a beta tester on the new version and it is excellent but still costly.

The DL handheld tool works great for code reading and regens, has very good tech support, and is a one-time purchase. I also have the diesel decoder ( Diesel Decoder Mobile Diagnostic Tool with DPF Regens for Apple & Android ) and it will allow you to read data from EVERY sensor on an ipad (can be a bit overwhelming) which is interesting, but prefer the handheld tool.

I bought mine used for half price ( Used Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen ) and couldnt tell it from new. These deals are sporadic and usually don’t last long so if you are decided and want to try the used unit, you should do it soon. They also have an excellent return policy.

I am tempted to go for it but doesn't or shouldn't our Cummins do a needed regen automatically? Are forced regens harmful in any way?

I am tempted to go for it but doesn't or shouldn't our Cummins do a needed regen automatically? Are forced regens harmful in any way?
You may want to read my story:

Latest resources

Back