Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Would you reveal your purchase price when selling?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MapNerd

RVF 1K Club
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
Had a few inquiries about selling my coach. A few people asked me for my purchase price which I felt a little conflicted to reveal.
I think anyone could do some basic math and maybe get close, but I was always taught that what your selling is worth what they’re paying and what you purchased it for is irrelevant as long as both parties are satisfied.

If you were selling and someone asked for your purchase price, would you disclose it?

Thats a red herring for sure. I’d sidestep that. Point to the NADA valuation or comps on similar coaches for sale as today’s price reference.

Having sold mine recently I provided the build sheet with MSRP but other than that, the purchase price is nobody’s business but yours. My buyer didn’t even ask.

If I was buying from someone and they hesitated to honestly answer a question I'd be gone. Be honest, provide what they ask, if they're interested they'll buy, if not then they're gone and you move next. I've tried to sell my Porsche a few times and buyers come to me with KBB values as if I'm going to sell at blue book. It will be interesting when I sell my highly mod'd Ventana (solar, hwh active air, you know the list....).

Honesty and transparency goes a long way in making the sale. If you're hiding one thing from me, what else are you hiding? An engine held in by coat hangars?

John, I haven't had anyone ask me how much I originally paid for my coach yet. However, since you are selling a 2020 model that may be triggering the question.

I'd Just tell them payoff, and tell them that doesn't even count in My large down.

Personally, I don’t think that is anyone’s business but yours. I wouldn’t even think of asking that of a seller. It has no bearing on the present-day value of the product. It’s truly an oddball question and would make me suspicious of the qualifications of the potential buyer. If someone has to know that number in order to craft an offer, they haven’t done their homework and aren’t likely a serious buyer.

Personally, I don’t think that is anyone’s business but yours. I wouldn’t even think of asking that of a seller. It has no bearing on the present-day value of the product. It’s truly an oddball question and would make me suspicious of the qualifications of the potential buyer. If someone has to know that number in order to craft an offer, they haven’t done their homework and aren’t likely a serious buyer.
EXACTLY!! What I paid for something has absolutely no bearing on what I am selling it for. What if I paid $10 for something then put a lot of money and sweat equity into it and decided to sell it for $25? My time and effort are worth nothing?

If I was buying from someone and they hesitated to honestly answer a question I'd be gone. Be honest, provide what they ask, if they're interested they'll buy, if not then they're gone and you move next. I've tried to sell my Porsche a few times and buyers come to me with KBB values as if I'm going to sell at blue book. It will be interesting when I sell my highly mod'd Ventana (solar, hwh active air, you know the list....).

Honesty and transparency goes a long way in making the sale. If you're hiding one thing from me, what else are you hiding? An engine held in by coat hangars?
Just to be clear, I'm not hesitating to honestly answer the question. I'm hesitating to answer that particular question because I don't feel it matters to the transaction. If I paid nothing for the coach because I'd inherited from a relative, then a buyer might see if from the stance that I've got plenty of room to make money and they are entitled to a steal of a deal. If I'd seriously overpaid, they might just walk without any further consideration because they might assume that we'd be too far apart when we might not be.

I just don't think the purchase price matters to the transaction, but I do appreciate your opinion and perspective. I'm certainly not hiding anything on a 1 year old coach.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back