Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
I searched around and can't find it but somewhere, I saw a post that you could plug in an adapter at a 30-amp site (assuming it also has 15 amp?) to get a total of 45? amps ... We're gonna be traveling in August 🥵 through Texas and we wanted to stay overnight at a state park that only has 30 amp. We stated at State Park in early March that was 30 amp only and it was barely adequate - yes we needed AC in March.
Has anyone ever done this and did it work well enough to keep your AC running? I would be running fridge (could do propane), coffeemaker, A/C.
2B43A714-A1ED-4666-B524-376679504147.jpeg

I searched around and can't find it but somewhere, I saw a post that you could plug in an adapter at a 30-amp site (assuming it also has 15 amp?) to get a total of 45? amps ... We're gonna be traveling in August 🥵 through Texas and we wanted to stay overnight at a state park that only has 30 amp. We stated at State Park in early March that was 30 amp only and it was barely adequate - yes we needed AC in March.
Has anyone ever done this and did it work well enough to keep your AC running? I would be running fridge (could do propane), coffeemaker, A/C.
View attachment 11963

I'm so confused by this, since there seems to be zero electronic I don't see how it balances the load 2:1 (30:15). I would assume (resistance of the cabling aside) that the load would end up overall splitting rather evenly and I feel like it would just constantly try the 15 amp cable. I need an electrician or someone much smarter to explain how this works.

Have you used this? Did it work well?
Or should we give up on the idea of older state parks in August?
I do not even own one. I just remembered seeing it as well

RV 50A is actually two legs of 50A each, so this will give you one leg of 30A and one leg of 15A. Think about it.

I'm so confused by this, since there seems to be zero electronic I don't see how it balances the load 2:1 (30:15). I would assume (resistance of the cabling aside) that the load would end up overall splitting rather evenly and I feel like it would just constantly try the 15 amp cable. I need an electrician or someone much smarter to explain how this works.
Yeah, I don't understand electronic stuff - One of my weak spots . I'm guessing that it would draw both, but I don't know. I had once heard to think of electricity like water, and if there's 'pressure' from both a 30 amp and 15 amp it seems both would 'pour out'. Yes? No? The splitter is cheaper than a $300+ soft start device, and takes no brains to install. but, yeah, well.

RV 50A is actually two legs of 50A each, so this will give you one leg of 30A and one leg of 15A. Think about it.
My brain is sputtering.

keeping it simple.

Going into your park pedestal you have 1 leg 50 amp 110 volt, call it A. Another leg 50 amp 110 volt, call it B. And one neutral. The pedestal is also bonded to ground.

Each 110 leg is out of phase with the other. This is how you get 220. Now the 110 20 amp is connected to the buss bar on one of the legs. So as has been said before 50 amps one leg 110, 50 amps the other leg 110. The breakers are 50 amp double poll (to give you 220) 30 amp single poll (to give you 110) and a 20 amp single poll (to again give you 110)

The 20 amp 110 breaker is feeding off the buzz bar from one leg. More times then not B leg, if wired correctly

one leg A and the other B

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back