Alliance
RV Model
Valor
RV Length
44ft
Fulltimer
No
Hello,
Be gentle on us. We are new to this. Loving it so far.
We own a 2022 Tracer 24' Travel Trailer. Not the greatest but it fit our budget.
We have plans of updating in a couple of years if we don't kill each other first.
So many do's and dont's to learn.
So with that said.... Let's ask the current questions....
1. What is some of the major things to watch for on the travel trailer. What is the main maintenance that needs to be done to avoid costly issues?
2. Is there a good place online that shows honest reviews of places to travel to?
3. We have America the Beautiful but are there other clubs that gets you discounts like that at other parks?

Ok... Let's start off with these. Feel free to make fun of our ignorance. We can take it.

Thanks
Joe & Kim

Welcome! We were all newbies at one point and on many fronts, we all still are. The good news is that you’ve come to the right place and you’re asking great questions!

I can’t speak to travel trailer maintenance but I will say one thing I and everyone else on the road will appreciate is that you ensure you have out trucked your trailer and not out trailer’d your truck. The latter is easy to do and it’s dangerous to you and everyone else on the road. Please be sure for your own safety and ours that your truck is more than capable of handling your trailer when fully loaded. Nothing boils my blood more than seeing a Ford Ranger pulling a 40’ travel trailer, swaying across three lanes of traffic.

For websites and apps, I like RVLife. I find the reviews to be pretty accurate and it’s got lots of additional features. It’s costs a few dollars but I find the price worth it.

There are tons of memberships, each playing to different strengths and benefits. Passport America, FMCA, Fulltime Families, Travel America, Harvest Hosts, Good Sam, Escapees, Boondockers Welcome, KOA Value Kard, Happy Camper Half Price Camping Club, Explorer RV Club, Thousand Trails, Coast to Coast, Recreational Parks International (aka. RPI), Overnight RV Parking…just a few off the top of my head.

Each of these memberships offer access to various benefits. Some have a cost. Some are free. Whether or not each is worth their salt is a matter of how well what that membership offers aligns with your camping needs and expectations. Some will offer that some club isn’t worth the cost. Keep in mind they are likely saying that because it doesn’t align well with their needs and expectations - so it’s not worth it to them, but it might be to you.

RVers are super friendly and we love to share our thoughts and opinions when we’re asked (sometimes before we’re asked!), but the most important thing to keep in mind is that everything we say is just an opinion and opinions are like rectums - we’ve all got one and they all stink. So take each one with a grain of salt, do a little homework, trust your gut and go for it if you instincts say so. Worst case scenario is a few dollars lost and a little more experience and wisdom.

Happy camping!

Welcome from Dallas GA

Welcome! Everyone are newbees at one time or another. I will suggest two things to start you out that could save you some time, money, and actual pain.

1. purchase a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) and screw the external sensors on your RV tires.
2. use only Scott's RV toilet paper and flush with about twice as much water as you think you need (keeping black tank closed off until it is time to dump and rinse.

As I deal with old trailers on a regular basis, I will tell you the number one thing to keep on top of. But before I do I will comment on the above posts. TPMS is the most important item you can buy for your trailer. A blow out is more destructive than mice.
Added: Never over load your rig and run it across the scales regularly as your loading changes.

To keep the RV in good shape the number one maintenance item is to regularly check plumbing for leaks and keep the roof coated with Henry's 100% silicone roof coat. When you inspect regularly for water intrusion your trailer will have a long life. Everything else will not destroy the rig. You have found one of the better sites for information, come back often.

Welcome aboard! No one will shame you as we are all first timers at one time. Been in this lifestyle almost a year and still learning!

TPMS is an absolute must buy (as already told) along with a new set of tires depending on what came on it. Hopefully not Castle Rock or variation there of.

Keep it inspected regularly, tires covered to prevent UV damage during long idle sits, clean your roof regularly and the suggestion from Kevin a great one.

Oh yeah, learn to do a lot on your own as it makes ownership more pleasurable.

As I deal with old trailers on a regular basis, I will tell you the number one thing to keep on top of. But before I do I will comment on the above posts. TPMS is the most important item you can buy for your trailer. A blow out is more destructive than mice.
Added: Never over load your rig and run it across the scales regularly as your loading changes.

To keep the RV in good shape the number one maintenance item is to regularly check plumbing for leaks and keep the roof coated with Henry's 100% silicone roof coat. When you inspect regularly for water intrusion your trailer will have a long life. Everything else will not destroy the rig. You have found one of the better sites for information, come back often.

Kevin, would this be the Tropi-Cool 100% you are referring to?

Welcome. We are all learning. Even oldbies sometimes make newbie mistakes - at least those of us who are human.:cool:

Latest resources

Back