Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Are you using Pepwave SpeedFusion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am connecting to my server in a data center - dedicated IP. I don't know if it matters that this is through a firewall but FusionHub requires ports to be opened which are per docs.

The AWS setup is super easy, as they have an image (AMI) for the install. It will cost 5, 15 or 30 a month, depending on size EC2 you choose. They now recommend medium, they used to recommend micro. I'm in medium, but an going to try reducing size and make sure it stays responsive. I think small or micro will be fine.

I am connecting to my server in a data center - dedicated IP. I don't know if it matters that this is through a firewall but FusionHub requires ports to be opened which are per docs.
Hmmm. I know the issue you describe. The last two days I was at the park, I was cashing my wife's phone every hour or so to make sure it was no longer a problem.

In order to use FusionHub and protect the issues I've had with phones/tablets I modified the outbound policy to only use FusionHub for a specific computer (IP address). As I have manual IP's assigned to my computers this is easy. Now I can use the VPN when needed for the computer work and not affect phones/tablets.

fh.jpg

What I'd like to figure out is how to separate my networks without over complicating my life so that all "wired" (LAN port) connections go through FusionHub and all Wi-Fi (phones/tablets, etc.) do not use FusionHub.

I've had the case in the past of using multiple routers such as Pepwave then an internal Wi-Fi router and it becomes a pain with separate networks. Trying to find the simplest approach to segregate LAN from Wi-Fi traffic to easily get devices to use FusionHub without screwing up the phone/tablets from issues I had.

I think I can do this by creating a new LAN (vlan) with an IP address range that covers the wired devices and would have to make sure wired devices use manual IP's as I can assign the LAN port to a VLAN I don't think. Then use that IP range .... wait a minute...it may be easier to just create an outbound policy for each IP (device) instead of doing this... hmmmm

Interesting thread.
IMHO if you have a good cellular connection or a good WIFI connection or a good Starlink connection, I'm not sure what advantage SpeedFusion or VPN (not withstanding the security) affords a RV'er. Emphasis on 'good signals'.
I have a MAX BR1 PRO LTEA (the 4G version with CAT-20) & have found if I place by strongest cellular signal (I was using AT&T & Verizon) & the RV park WIFI (I have really good RV park WIFI) in Priority 1 I can attain enough speed & bandwidth to stream media, participate in ZOOM meetings & still use a PC for regular work activity over the internet. I am still not convinced 5G is ready for primetime in the RV environment. Personally, for the price difference, I will invest in Starlink.
I have played with my son's Starlink at my location (residential plan with roaming) with similar results.
In addition to incoming bandwidth on the Peplink device, you should consider the through put of the processor. There are some interesting posts on the Peplink Forum where the CAT-18 devices were consistently outperforming the CAT-12 DUO. In the particular post(s) the difference was attributed to the processor in the CAT-18.
Of course all of this is my subjective opinion based on my particular needs. What works for me makes me happy & I share it with others as hopefully being informative. One really needs to look at their particular requirements & assess what they are willing to spend.

IMHO if you have a good cellular connection or a good WIFI connection or a good Starlink connection, I'm not sure what advantage SpeedFusion
I googled that very question this morning and it landed me on this page which explains it at a high level. It's been working well for me this morning bonding AT&T and Starlink. I am experiencing solid and reliable Internet including YouTube and other social media content.

CAT-18 devices were consistently outperforming the CAT-12 DUO. In the particular post(s) the difference was attributed to the processor in the CAT-18.
Maybe, in my non cellular engineering opinion it's due to CAT 18 and higher uses 4x4 MIMO, i.e. twice the number of cellular antennas and therefore two bands of cellular connection. This is why I advise anyone getting a cellular router these days I suggest CAT 18 or better if it fits your budget.

I think I can do this by creating a new LAN (vlan) with an IP address range that covers the wired devices and would have to make sure wired devices use manual IP's as I can assign the LAN port to a VLAN I don't think. Then use that IP range .... wait a minute...it may be easier to just create an outbound policy for each IP (device) instead of doing this... hmmmm
Neal,
You are on the right track with VLANS. This is what we did in our home/office to separate the business part of the network, from the media part of the network, the personal use portion of the network & finally all that IOT crap that connects to the network (cameras, appliances & god know what else at this point in time).
I'm not sure how many devices are on your LAN. In the home office it was a bunch & we really wanted to isolate the business from the people that were surfing the WEB.

Latest resources

Back