Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins 500hp
TOW/TOAD
Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Saw a forum article about Newmar's custom bonded accessory carpet. Looked nice (even with the huge Newmar Logo). Then, looked at Amazon and they were priced at $500 to 750 depending on model and color.
So, got motivated and took a trip to Walmart and picked up a neutral gray 5'x6' area rug.
Did some measurements and transferred them to the unrolled rug.
Used a sharp utility knife and some utility scissors to make the cuts.

Some things to consider:
I used the stair entrance and the "firewall" as the places to measure from. Important to consistently use the same spots to make measurements from so errors don't get compounded.
Most of the cuts that were easy to measure I checked twice and cut once on mark. Some of the points were harder to measure like for the dashboard lower drawer that isn't square with anything and not on a typical angle. So, for there, I cut leaving some margin for error.
I put the bonded edges on the stair entrance and on the rear of the carpet as they would be visible and take most of the foot traffic. Cut edges go against walls and cabinets.
I considered removing the chairs so I didn't need access cuts, but then I considered how heavy they are, what a PITA they are to put back on their mounting stud / bearing and that I probably will want to take the carpet out for cleaning anyway. So I put the single cut on the side of the chair where no one will see it.

At some point I'll take the rug back out and use some clear hot glue to seal cut edges.

Well, it doesn't have a Newmar logo but it fits well.

If I want to change it in the future (color change or time), I will use it as a pattern to get a custom bonded heavier weight carpet. Maybe have them embroider my name in it...

Side benefit is the carpet gives my custom Jake brake foot switch some traction so it doesn't slide around the hardwood floor. There was already some velcro hooks on the back of the switch that lightly grab the carpet loops.

So, that's my $22 one hour upgrade for the day.

Attachments

• RVCarpet1_small.jpg
    RVCarpet1_small.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Very Nice work! One thing if we find that you cuts start to roll you can buy inexpensively seam tape and it will hold the seams together.

Latest resources

Back