• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question CB radio

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My CB was inop when I bought my old Newmar. The antenna was obviously damaged and I had hopes a new one would help. It didn't. I let it be a a couple of years but during traffic backup one time I figured it would be nice to have it working. So I just found a replacement unit and that got it going. I haven't had it out on the road yet but it at least seems to work. But with this thread I am now wondering if I bought the right antenna. Been a while so I now don't know what I bought. Is there a way to tell a NGP? I replaced a minimal metal stick with a Firestick style and a new mount (what was broken).

Did you guys have any luck with getting decent range out of your CB install?? considering installing one in our 2024 DS4369 when we take delivery... but on the fence..

Following as well since we would just need the radio to install in our Superstar.

Since we just need the radio figure it would be nice to have every now and then.

Hey Dennis,
the SuperStar is an easy install.. the key is bypassing the Freightliner wiring in the dash... You need to run a cable from the radio (PL259 connector) to the firewall (BNC connector) and that will go directly to the mirror mounted antenna.. The factory cable from the overhead area goes to an FM/CB antenna multiplexor that is designed for the Freightliner dash radio and not the Newmar Xite installation.

If you're looking to use CB to listen to truckers for traffic or just entertainment, forget it. They've mostly transitioned to the MURS frequencies on 70cm. MURS radios/frequencies do not require a license. Most of the inexpensive ($25 Baofeng) Chinese HTs can be used for this.

For the past three years we have used ours in our SuperStar and while its not as active as it used to be, it definitely helped when some hazards came up and helped to either get around it or for entertainment while we waited...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back