Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JamesL

RVF Regular
I have a famous Coachmen’s Clarion rear axle problem anyone know how to fix it or have any information on this? Once the vehicle reaches 55 miles an hour the rear starts fishtailing everywhere very unsafe to drive. Engine and chassis was designed by the Ford corporation brakes and axle was designed by German no one seem to know how to fix the problem.

Have a coachman clarion with the famous rear axle issue, once I hit 55 mph the back starts fishtailing all over the place very unsafe to drive. Chassis and engine or Ford products break and axle are German design anyone have any information on oh I can fix the problem or if anyone has another coachman’s Clarion please help

Attachments

• 6C30EF27-0C68-407B-8F16-13CF80F6D546.jpeg
    6C30EF27-0C68-407B-8F16-13CF80F6D546.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 43
Have you put it on the scale?
I would want to know how the weight is distributed front to back.

Interesting sought, no I have not. Vehicle is all original nothings been modified. Are holding tanks are empty. It’s a front wheel drive vehicle. Engine and chassis is designed by Ford. F350 series. One gentleman who owns one experience the same problem he thinks that there is a large rubber band or spring in the rear axle and overtime it wears out. Which reduces the drag on the rear tires. In the process of changing all four shocks and putting air shocks in to see if that fixes the problem. Have brought it to many RV dealerships and garages they are as confused as I am. The axle and brakes are a German design. The rear axle is not in line with the tires it’s someone offset more towards the front of the wheel. As if the wheels are on a rocker arm Of sorts. In the photo you will see a white tag That piece of metal should be pointing towards the ground when it was new. And I guess overtime that bar goes up. Which indicates that is no resistance in the axle. This is still one theory that I’ve heard. If you have any further thoughts or ideas please feel free to let me know. Once again thank you for your suggestion and thoughts. Appreciate it. James

Photo of left rear axle

Attachments

• F7197E11-28D9-4691-AB27-33914F5F2D39.jpeg
    F7197E11-28D9-4691-AB27-33914F5F2D39.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 70
  • DCAEE381-A382-41E2-9042-521DB1B50F02.jpeg
    DCAEE381-A382-41E2-9042-521DB1B50F02.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 2271CEED-8741-4BAA-A7C9-F41A6285D72C.jpeg
    2271CEED-8741-4BAA-A7C9-F41A6285D72C.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 69
I can see the argument that the bushings are bad. Ever been on a bike that developed a death wobble? I have, seems the bushings/bearings were in fact the problem. Torsion bars, neet.

These are photos from obviously underneath showing the axle I noticed this afternoon that they were two caps which look like grease fittings on either side of the axle near the wheel. They’re very small maybe the size of an eraser on a pencil. I will definitely forward the information on the gentleman who is assisting me with the problem. I cannot thank you enough for your input on the situation. Also for some strange reason it looks like the old brake lines were removed. The wheels are free-flowing you can spend them in either direction with no resistance. But there are brake pads and calipers inside the wheel. Will take some more photos tomorrow. I’m a first time RV year and I’m amazed on how helpful the community is. It’s very heartwarming. Thank you again for your input and concern. Jameslove. Forever grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.MOV
    1.6 MB
  • FE7C16BF-A597-43CE-8A1A-596156530C90.jpeg
    FE7C16BF-A597-43CE-8A1A-596156530C90.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • 17188D8E-FA36-4187-BD1E-26B33D32F4D2.jpeg
    17188D8E-FA36-4187-BD1E-26B33D32F4D2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • 0483C373-16C0-425B-8790-06E25B2360E8.jpeg
    0483C373-16C0-425B-8790-06E25B2360E8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 53
I’ve driven this vehicle a total of 60 miles since I bought it. It rides perfectly smooth on the highway up until 55 miles an hour then I have to have both hands on the wheel Connor balancing the actions from the back and from sliding back-and-forth it’s as if I’m driving an old hay trailer that doesn’t wanna stay on the road. And when the semi truck goes by me I’m all over the road nearly hit a Jersey barrier another semi truck the first day I had it. The slightest movement of the wheel ( steering wheel ) is magnified by the back end of the vehicle it feels like i’m pulling a trailer overloaded with hay. It looks like I’m drunk I can’t keep it in the lanes . Have an experienced any vibrations when this is occurring it’s a smooth ride.

This just dawned on me or had a thought maybe there is no rear axle could the wheels just be mounted to the frame and that’s some kind of support that we think is an axle? Because nothing is attached to it directly I may be ignorant on the matter but I don’t see where the axle would spin because the wheels aren’t really attached to the round cylinder that we think is the axle. There on this bizarre rocker arm thing. My background is restaurants and hospitality. My interaction with mechanics is writing a check. LOL

My first post or second post.

Put 3 or so hundred pounds close to front seats and see how it goes. Scales are better idea first.

That not the issue have Bushings replaced on torsion tubes. It could also be front and Bushings.

Latest resources

Back