• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DEF problem

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Rich W you suggested buying a code reader do you have any suggestions on which one?Can they also reset codes?Just trying to learn more about the Def system.

So in team bradfield’s situation would the DSS device work if he were to go into derate mode?My 2018 Essex is now showing a 4331-16 HIGH code.Spartan is saying it’s a problem with the Dossing unit.Incorrect quantity. Is this something that could put me in derate?
Yes the DSS would send a “all sensors normal” message to the ECM, but it wouldn’t be a good idea in this case because his DEF head is probably working, indicating he has an DEF actual problem. The DSS is better suited to dealing with false readings, such as low DEF when you know the tank is full. Bypassing the DEF header when there is an actual problem doesn’t fix anything and might make things worse.

In your case, Spartan (or cummins) is the best one to answer the derate question. SPN 4331 is “Aftertreatment 1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Actual Dosing Quantity“ and FMI 16 is reading “high“, so it shouldn’t lead to derate because the only issue is that you’ll consume more DEF than necessary, but you’ll want to read all codes to make sure. If you are in initial derate you’ll see SPN 1569.

Also if your check engine light is on and has a wrench in it, you are headed for, or in the early stages of derate. If it starts flashing you’re in a more severe level of derate. And the DSS wouldn’t help you here because the error message isn’t originating in the DEF head.

Since your coach is a 2018, this is the last year of your emissions warranty, so I’d check your delivery date and if you are still under five years, get it in and get it fixed.

Last edited:
Rich W you suggested buying a code reader do you have any suggestions on which one?Can they also reset codes?Just trying to learn more about the Def system.
There are a lot of cheap J1939 code readers that work, and many will clear codes after the problem has been corrected, but after trying several, including OTR which is great but requires an annual subscription, I’ve landed on this one as ideal for the coach owner:
This is a great deal - half price, and they don’t always have used units available. I bought mine used and couldn't tell it from new. Also their customer service/tech support is outstanding. But you can also retrieve codes from your dash, and there are numerous cheaper J1939 code readers on Amazon.

Last edited:
Is the only time you would use the DSS device if there is a problem with the def head?Deff sensor or fluid level?
Thanks for all your help and info.
Randy

Is the only time you would use the DSS device if there is a problem with the def head?Deff sensor or fluid level?
Thanks for all your help and info.
Randy
Yes. In the event of a DEF head failure, when all else is working fine, the DSS sends a simulated “all is well” message for the three sensors (level, qual, temp) to the ECM. It will only work on a 2016 or later chassis.

The most common failures occur with three codes indicating problems with all three parameters at once - an obvious DEF head failure. So the DSS simulates a healthy DEF head and sends the correct signals preventing a derate, and if all ready in derate, the ECM senses the problem has been solved so after about 5 or 6 ignition cycles usually clears derate and codes.

This allows the owner to still operate the vehicle until such time as a new header is available and an apointment can be scheduled to have the work done - both of which have often been a very long wait. The only caution is that you still have to put in DEF and you no longer have a working level gauge, so you have to be diligent about keeping the tank full, or you’ll have other problems, such as a 4331 18 (doser out of spec - low) which will cause a derate and the DSS cant do anything about it.

This is the DSS home page: DEF Sensor Simulator

There are a lot of cheap J1939 code readers that work, and many will clear codes after the problem has been corrected, but after trying several, including OTR which is great but requires an annual subscription, I’ve landed on this one as ideal for the coach owner:
This is a great deal - half price, and they don’t always have used units available. I bought mine used and couldn't tell it from new. Also their customer service/tech support is outstanding. But you can also retrieve codes from your dash, and there are numerous cheaper J1939 code readers on Amazon.

Picked up this one recently when they had a 20% coupon sale. Figured I’d get one now before I need it on the road somewhere 😀

Tested on a coach across from us to verify they didn’t have any codes causing concern before they headed to FL for their appt.

Does force regen and also checks the ABS which I guess some of them do not do.

Worked well so far.

I had to have my DEF head replaced within 6 months of having my 2022 LA. Sorry to hear you are not getting an immediate response from Spartan. I found them very responsive, overnighting the DEF head and scheduling a mobile tech through CoachNet to have it installed.

I did get a stop engine code though. What codes are you throwing? Make sure your DEF tank is full if you are in cold, snowy weather.

Gremlins I guess, tested the DEF and it tests good, started her up and the warning is gone, went through the diagnostics and it doesn't show any codes, as soon as the pile of snow in front of the bus is gone, gonna take it for a drive

Well that is good. If you are like me, you probably hate it when things just “clear up” and you don’t know why 🥴

Well that is good. If you are like me, you probably hate it when things just “clear up” and you don’t know why 🥴
Yep, exactly, now I'm afraid it will pop up again traveling through the mountains this spring

Latest resources

Back