RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Prowler
RV Length
Chassis
single axle
Is it worth it to purchase a project travel trailer and turn it into a reliable trailer to sell for a profit? Not looking to restore to original, just a custom restoration.

I have been there and done that! That was when I was nieve! Build all you want as a hobby, you need something to spark your existence, but to restore requires lots of time and money!

Never made wage, but had a hobby! Any others here that have actually turned a profit, please chime in, I have some questions for you!

I've used soapy 00 steel wool (think SOS pads) with a lot of water to clean up chrome and stainless steel on 1970's motorcycle wheels and body trim / bumpers on old vehicles. But to keep it clean and not tarnish again usually requires a coating of the spray on clear coat sealant. I like the "2K Glamour" catalyzed urethane clear for this and you can only buy it at an automotive paint store - respirator required to spray it unless you want to wake up somewhere else. Yes, I am a "Chromosexual" when it applies to the shiny bits and pieces on old vehicles - stainless, chrome or shiny aIuminum, I love it all.

I can't see my wife and I turning a profit on our old fixer upper 2007 model year travel trailer when time comes to sell it though we will probably break even. We did a lot of work to get it to a dependable status and its a runner now but if you put any value at all on your time, you will be upside down on the dollars to value ratio.

It was a good learning experience and it helps with better knowing how to perform maintenance while camping.

Rick

and what cleaner is used to clean dirty pitted aluminum frame windows
Sand with fine wet dry sandpaper and finish with stainless wool. Steel wool will inbed and rust. Wax when your happy with the job. Note that perfect can actually lower value!

Remember that custom implies human beings, not factory reproductions.

In Indian bead work errors in the pattern like missing beads are called spirit beads and the work is highly valued.

just looking to spray with a solution, then using a wire brush and small putty knife. Just want to get the "big" stuff off

Restorations are never profitable. It has to be a hobby that you enjoy. I have restored numerous cars, the only time it was profitable was when I started a business doing it and charged customers. It was a great second business as I got to do what I enjoyed and someone else was paying the costs.

just looking to spray with a solution, then using a wire brush and small putty knife. Just want to get the "big" stuff off
Only use brass or stainless brush, same reason as above. The rusted screws and/ or corrosion around them are a testimony of what I'm saying.

Is it worth it to purchase a project travel trailer and turn it into a reliable trailer to sell for a profit? Not looking to restore to original, just a custom restoration.
A big NO from my experience. I bought (or took in in trade), fixed, and sold a few travel trailers after I retired. Never able to get back the expense if I included my time. Then the state has to get their cut with registration and title fees before I even start working on it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back