RV Length
40’
Chassis
M2-112
Engine
Cummins L9 - 450Hp 1250 Tq
TOW/TOAD
Mojave - JT
Hi guys, not sure where to post this question, general discussion I assume . My AGM battery 4 are 3 years old, when I put a multi tester across the top on a sunny day, Solar panels show charging 12.5 or more constantly on clear sunny day. It seems that my batteries aren’t receiving the full charge from the solar panels as they should which are 200 W total. 5 days later came to check and down to 4.5V. I have everything turned off …. If you review the photo below you’ll see one of the panels has laminating issues. I’m curious, is there a way to test each panel individually? the one or both may be too weak and 100 W isn’t enough for those four AGM’S
IMG_1535.jpeg
batteriesIMG_1535.jpeg

Yes! Flexible panels go bad at an alarming rate. However we don't have enough information to diagnose the problem!

Here is what we need!!!

Full sun, what time of day?

Return trip,Full sun,same time of day.

Original voltage (not charging) with panels covered.

Last check voltage (not charging) panels covered.

Amp hours (battery capacity).

Hours of full sun? In the desert here in az I consider full sun from around 9:30 to about 4:30 about 7 hours of sun. Your system, that would be about 100 watts times 7hrs 700 watt hours or about 60 Amp hours. If you have 100 Amp hour batteries, that would be 200ah of usable power. So 4 days (if you're lucky) might bring the batteries up, but that doesn't take anything going wrong into the equation. You know like de-lamination on the panels. A bad cell in a battery. A bad connection.

Personally, I would disconnect the batteries and check them individually. 10 volts or less and you have lost a cell and that battery is toast,.edit: 12vdc is considered completely discharged

Kevin - thank you so much I appreciate your help and insight. Here on the coast full Sun is about the same as AZ. Assuming we don’t have fog or clouds but the past week it’s been clear. The panels are 100w x 2 = 200 watts, I believe should be charging 13.6 V min, regardless of what the battery needs and the most that the controller is showing 12.5 output. I’m thinking after reading your review I have a bad S-rooftop panel, trying to figure out how to test it. I can disconnect each battery and test it, hate to do it. My guess is you’re right, it be nice to test the panel itself don’t know how too. Vehicle is parked 24 hours a day until our next trip. So No trip time, iOriginal voltage was around 12.8 V not under charge, last charge, panels not covered on roof when sun goes down, 4.5 V five days later. Kevin, I don’t know if this makes any sense.

Kevin - thank you so much I appreciate your help and insight. Here on the coast full Sun is about the same as AZ. Assuming we don’t have fog or clouds but the past week it’s been clear. The panels are 100w x 2 = 200 watts, I believe should be charging 13.6 V min, regardless of what the battery needs and the most that the controller is showing 12.5 output. I’m thinking after reading your review I have a bad S-rooftop panel, trying to figure out how to test it. I can disconnect each battery and test it, hate to do it. My guess is you’re right, it be nice to test the panel itself don’t know how too. Vehicle is parked 24 hours a day until our next trip. So No trip time, iOriginal voltage was around 12.8 V not under charge, last charge, panels not covered on roof when sun goes down, 4.5 V five days later. Kevin, I don’t know if this makes any sense.
Did you disconnect anything? Like maybe reverse polarities?
Most often when those panels fail, they simply stop outputting power. Sounds more like a short. I think battery failure!!! The longer everything is connected the more expensive it will be to fix. 4.5 volts is a catastrophic battery failure! You may be able to take the battery out of the bank that's bad, unless it has already destroyed the family. CHECK THEM NOW!!! TIME IS YOUR ENEMY!!!

Did you disconnect anything? Like maybe reverse polarities?
Most often when those panels fail, they simply stop outputting power. Sounds more like a short. I think battery failure!!! The longer everything is connected the more expensive it will be to fix. 4.5 volts is a catastrophic battery failure! You may be able to take the battery out of the bank that's bad, unless it has already destroyed the family. CHECK THEM NOW!!! TIME IS YOUR ENEMY!!!
I have not touch any of the batts, it is used MH, so prior owner could’ve messed with the bank. Will hopefully it’s only one battery within the bank. I can disconnect it and leave the others connected….fyi: did take about week to run down the AGM, damn they are not cheap. Thank you will let you know what I find.

Kevin one last Q - you were 100% spot on thank you. 3 AGM’s all three disconnected from one another and disconnected from solar & shore power. And after resting for 15 minutes the first two batteries settled at 12.85 V conservatively, the third battery settled at 8.92 V . I did find that my two in-house electric fans (maxxfan) were running on their own about 5 days. They just came on and in fact, I could not turn them off. I had to pull fuses, had issues with both fans in the past, ordered new PC board. And may have causes the drain and Not on shore P. QUESTION when plugged into shore power all three show around 14.4 V, but the third battery the bad battery gets pretty warm. I would rather replace it later as it’s $700. So am I asking for trouble I don’t really do much dry camping this time of year I just left it plugged into power.

Q-2, I would like to move the power connect for the 3 house batteries to the middle battery and not this end battery which is bad and will need replacing. Maybe it would draw better from being in the middle what do you think?IMG_1613.jpeg

You "need " to disconnect the bad battery!!! The bad battery will give the controller the idea the batteries need charging. In turn the controller will cook your good batteries. They will vent and dry out!! In short order none of you batteries will be any good.

With what you describe you will likely still have the power you need without replacing the bad battery.

While you're at it the charging wires should be connected so the current travels through both batteries.

I haven’t read all of this but measuring voltage is kind of dancing around the issue. In and of itself, it isn't a good measurement of anything.

Rich,

Your comment about measuring voltage is not a good way to measuring anything surprised me.
Not an electrical engineer but what other method is used to determine a battery is bad?
Never heard of another method to check a battery. Even under a load test, it is voltage that tells the story.
Been in aviation for 54 years and voltage has been used on all the craft that I have flown.
Please enlighten me.

Latest resources

Back