Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kodiak341

RVF Newbee
ok so heres where i need some guidance folks….so we are new to the camper world, we’re retiring our massive tent to get us a fifth wheel, i have done some homework on weights an stuff and need a little advice i guess lol….so one unit we have looked at has a weight of 15,500….will an f250 be sufficient enough to tote this rig, its 42 foot long if that matters

In my opinion, since you're looking at a 250/2500 anyway, may as well look at a 350/3500. For a couple thousand more dollars, you get a fair bit more capability.

i have been looking at the 350/3500 also…im sure with the bigger truck its added safety “in the aspect of sway”…but would a 250/2500 be capable of towing a rig that size?

i have been looking at the 350/3500 also…im sure with the bigger truck its added safety “in the aspect of sway”…but would a 250/2500 be capable of towing a rig that size?
No idea. Depends on the towing and payload capacity of the individual truck and the loaded (not dry) total and pin weights of the trailer. Check the sticker inside the driver's door of the truck for its actual payload capacity and check the manual for the towing capacity. Don't go off the numbers in the brochure or on the internet. Also need to ensure the trailer weights include everything you load into it, especially anything you load near the front that can have a big impact on the pin weight.

No.

I'm pretty sure your quoted weight of 15,500 lbs is DRY weight. You want to concentrate on the trailers gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) which it the maximum that trailer is allowed to weigh loaded as specified by the manufacturer. The GVWR of that trailer is probably closer to 20,000 lbs.

For a trailer that long, you will also want a long box with dual rear wheels. One ton truck (350/3500) would be minimum for a trailer of that size a weight.

thank you guys an gals for the info, helps us tremendously!!…il change my search to a 350/3500 cause that seems like with a unit the size we are looking at that will be the best bet, like i mentioned we are new to this entire process so all the tips, advice we can get is greatly appreciated

No.

I'm pretty sure your quoted weight of 15,500 lbs is DRY weight. You want to concentrate on the trailers gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) which it the maximum that trailer is allowed to weigh loaded as specified by the manufacturer. The GVWR of that trailer is probably closer to 20,000 lbs.

For a trailer that long, you will also want a long box with dual rear wheels. One ton truck (350/3500) would be minimum for a trailer of that size a weight.
so after looking at the sticker, the GVWR IS 15500…i will attach a pic so you guys can see

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Another benefit to a one ton dully is you now have eight tire sidewalls instead of four keeping the back of the truck from wanting to dance from side to side in crosswinds or when a semi passes.

You will be happier with 350/3500 with that size rig. Will the 250 tow it? Yes but handling, stability and stopping are big factors.

Towing a trailer with a GVWR of 15,500, I would be shopping for whatever I could get a deal on. A 3/4 ton should have no problem with that but the sway from wind/semis would be the primary benefit of a 1T dually. More money, worse ride, slower, thirstier, more of a pain to park would be the reasons to avoid a dually. That said, buying a 3/4T then a larger trailer in a few years that would necessitate a 1T would be a rather expensive proposition too. Settle on a brand then drive a 3/4 & 1T to see which you like better with nothing in tow.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back