Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ken Nordstrom

RVF Newbee
My Duro Star DS400s 120 V. gas generator has a warning label that says that a line conditioner is needed if used with sensitive electronic equipment. What is a line conditioner? Can I use my generator to power my 2021, 21" Jayco trailer without one? If it is needed what brand and model is recommended?

My Duro Star DS400s 120 V. gas generator has a warning label that says that a line conditioner is needed if used with sensitive electronic equipment. What is a line conditioner? Can I use my generator to power my 2021, 21" Jayco trailer without one? If it is needed what brand and model is recommended?
Well I have learned something new today thanks to your question. I had never heard of such a beast. I was awaiting an answer. It appears others, like you and I, are in the dark as well.
Having learned what it does, if I were you, I would invest in one. A Line Conditioner is also known as a voltage regulator, a power conditioner protects sensitive electronics, such as computers, lab equipment, home theaters from voltage fluctuations and power surges. I suspect your rig just might have a circuit boards that may be sensitive. I am sorry, I can't recommend any. Your generator puts out 30 amps thus I suspect you will be looking for something that will carry the load.

Good luck. Safe travels

Darrell

That is not a good generator to use to power an RV. Don't even attempt to connect to the 30A outlet as that is 220V vice a 30A 120V outlet.

Second, that generator will be LOUD. Your fellow campers will be knocking on your door asking you to turn it off.

Just invest in a quiet inverter generator with a 30A RV outlet.

A generator produces a very noisy sine wave. This is true on the grid as well. Most quality electronics have a power supply that conditions the line power avoiding the need for such devices.
However in that one case where the manufacturer didn't properly filter, problems can arise!

The label "protect yourself " protects the generator manufacturer from lawsuits.

To filter the output from my inverter. The final filter consists of a transformer, and a capacitor sized to smooth out the carrier wave frequency produced by the PWM modulated sine wave. The capacitor is optional in the design, but carries the same form of warning!!!

I applaud the manufacturer for posting the label on their product, but there are many here and across the world that use portable generators without line conditioning for their consumer products. My interpretation is if you are using a life sustaining device use a conditioner.

Your appliances may use less power when a filter/line conditioner is used.

Thanks for all your replies. That really helps. I certainly do not want to ruin the circuit boards in my trailer. I am confused by all the different products available when I Google "line conditioner". I'm not sure what to buy to do the job. However, the generator is loud. I think my money will be better spent buying a newer quieter and more compatible generator to power my unit.

As others have stated you probably have a construction type generator. They generate 'dirty' power and make enemies of all your neighbors for quite a distance.

Latest resources

Back