Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Does a standard tow hitch on a Newmar DP provide 12v to tow car? Jeeps just don’t work for us so looking at a Ford Escape, Edge or Maverick

Joe, your DS will have 12v in the 7 pin connector. I forget which pin it is, but it’s there.

Here is what Ford prints in the User Manual, note nothing about battery drain...

RECREATIONALLY TOWING YOUR VEHICLE - HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE (HEV)/PLUG-IN HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE (PHEV)​

Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing. An example of recreational towing is towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. These guidelines ensure that you do not damage the transmission.
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle. See Climate Control.
You can tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground under the following conditions:
  • You switch Neutral Tow on.
  • Your vehicle is facing forward for towing in a forward direction.
  • You release the parking brake.
  • You do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
Switching Neutral Tow On
  1. Switch your vehicle on in accessory mode.
  2. Press the menu button on the steering wheel to enter the information display main menu.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Select Neutral Tow.
  5. Follow the instructions on the information display.
  6. Fully press the brake pedal.
  7. Shift into neutral (N).
  8. Switch the ignition off.
Note: Switching neutral tow on requires battery power.
Note: If the parking brake is applied, a message appears in the information display.
Note: If your vehicle has an ignition key, you cannot remove the key from the ignition when the transmission is in neutral (N) and your vehicle is off.
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes at the beginning of each day, and every six hours or fewer. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into drive (D) and then into reverse (R) before shifting back into neutral (N). Before continuing to tow, switch neutral tow on.

May want to reach out to Etrailer. They have always provided solid information with projects I have had over the years

Pin 4 is 12v from the chassis to whatever you are towing but it may or may not be wired from the factory. Easy to check with a volt meter. If it isnt live, you can easily wire it in. You wont need pin 7 (back up lights) or pin 2 (elec trailer brakes) so you can go to a 5 pin connector for the toad. Chances are there are ready made cables for this, but again, easy enough to make your own.

I’ve also found etrailer.com to be a reliable source for info and supplies.

I have used this for 15+ years with great success. Keeps my toad battery charged.

Toad Charge.

Hmmm…
maybe they don’t make this anymore? There may be others like it….
I was disappointed to find that particular product is no longer made. I’ve had one in my toad for about six years, and I need a replacement. Will likely go with RVI product.

I was disappointed to find that particular product is no longer made. I’ve had one in my toad for about six years, and I need a replacement. Will likely go with RVI product.
curious why you would need 40’ of wire, and the relay and the charge module for that matter, when you can just supply 12v from the chassis batteries, which are a couple feet from the 7 pin connection. Is it so your 12v to the rear is dead when the ignition is off? Doesn’t seem like that would matter. Also seems doubtful that you could ever over-charge the toad battery during a day of driving, but I guess that’s part of the concept. If that is a concern, one of these would take care of the issue: Tekonsha DC to DC Heavy Duty Quick/Maintenance (Multi Stage) Charger - 12 Volt Designed for a break-away 12v trailer brake system, but the specs look good for keeping a toad battery up.

$27 for that charger (or something similar), a little bit of wire, and an in-line fuse or breaker should do it just fine.

Last edited:
Yea… is a good product… but looks like LSL products is not currently operating.

Latest resources

Back