RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I can't believe how far storage has come over the years. When I first open my computer store in 1987 I run an ad say "Upgrade your RAM from 512K to 640K for only 99.99 and add a 20Meg Harddrive for only 599.99 and my margins were about 5% just trying to get my name out there. Now a Solid State16TB drives for 109.99. I just may replace my Synology Nas Plex Server with a 16TB drive hooked to my Nvidia Sheild with a piece of velcro. My first computer was a TSR80 with a whopping 8K memory expandable to 16K and a cassette player for data storage.

PS. I don't own one of these drives but looking for a backup solution while on the road.

Well, we think alike. I have the 920+ and 220+. Synology does outperform the Sheild Plex Server App and we also use it to back up other MAC devices. I did use the Shield for a while with a 5TB drive and work OK. Just tempting to use an SSD External drive instead of loading up the 220+.

We set up Time Machine on the 920+ and works great.

I primarily use my NAS for video and photos as I don't want to use the bandwidth to upload huge drone videos. It's also an easy way for me to transfer large files between devices (aka server) and not have to go through the cloud.

For general computer backup I use Dropbox, i.e. my files. OS and app installs will always be available so a computer backup is not something I really care for these days. I prefer to always install clean and reinstall as needed.

I use a synology NAS both at home and in the RV. 918+ at home 218+ in the coach. If you don't want to go the network approach then any USB storage would work, even thumb drives are huge now.

And of course there is always Dropbox which I love. I have the PLUS version so the files can be cloud only and I download them when needed which keeps local drive space freed up.
Wow, NAS HD’s can take the bouncing in the coach?

Wow, NAS HD’s can take the bouncing in the coach?
Just as long as you remember to turn off the NAS the HD heads will park over an area that is safe. Laptops have had standard drives for years before the SSD came out and travel lots of miles in cars and RVs. My 920+ has four 12 TB drives with 3 setups as raid and one as a hot swap spare drive and my 220+ has 2 each 12TB in a mirror configuration. The last 12TB Ironwolf NAS drives I got for 210 bucks a piece.

I don't think it's that much impact that a spinning drive couldn't handle it. People move computers around while running and they seem to survive. But I only use SSD this day forward.

We don’t have a NAS in the coach, but we have considered it.
But we do have a couple drives regularly used for backup purposes. One is a cheaper couple TB USB drive and the other a larger, mirrored, enterprise grade enclosure. Gotta have backup of the backup of the backup (after having lost important data a couple times over the decades I finally learned).
Couple years on the road, drives are always powered off when traveling, and no issues with any HDDs.

Latest resources

Back