Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rrrdad

RVF Regular
Anyone know where to find these magnets? Very odd bolt pattern also so just trying to replace magnets now
D01ACADD-8218-4444-89A7-DB5AE739B12F.png

When Dexter made a mistake assembling an axel on my cargo trailer, they sent the complete backing plate assembly.
That statement has two opinions.
1. It is likely a dexter axel. And you may have to buy an assembly.

Good luck.

Thank you. The bolt pattern for the backing place is very unique. I’ve called every brake and axle company out there. No luck. This is why I’m searching hard for just the magnets.

Was it you that asked on the good Sam forum?
That doesn't matter really just wondered what you may have already learned.

Sometimes when dealing with things as old as my kid, I have to modify newer equipment to make it work.
The large diameter is a locator and will line up and fit on a machined diameter on the axle.
From there transfer punch screws can help you drill new holes in the plate.

What you may have issues with!
Flange may not be aligned with the drum.
Drum diameter may be different than the backing plate assembly.

Some times the best solution is new axles, but only if you can't find who bought up the axle manufacturer.

Was it you that asked on the good Sam forum?
That doesn't matter really just wondered what you may have already learned.

Sometimes when dealing with things as old as my kid, I have to modify newer equipment to make it work.
The large diameter is a locator and will line up and fit on a machined diameter on the axle.
From there transfer punch screws can help you drill new holes in the plate.

What you may have issues with!
Flange may not be aligned with the drum.
Drum diameter may be different than the backing plate assembly.

Some times the best solution is new axles, but only if you can't find who bought up the axle manufacturer.
You are correct because I did order a new brake assembly and the bolt holes just do not lineup so I was thinking about going to a machine shops where they could perfectly align it up and drill or enlarge new holes but I think that’s a waste of money and new axles would exceed see the cost but I want to put into this camper but then again might be worth it.

You are correct because I did order a new brake assembly and the bolt holes just do not lineup so I was thinking about going to a machine shops where they could perfectly align it up and drill or enlarge new holes but I think that’s a waste of money and new axles would exceed see the cost but I want to put into this camper but then again might be worth
I haven’t gone to the good Sam forum, but that’s a great place to go so I’ll do that this morning and I’m also trying to find campers at a salvage yard or in someone’s backyard. That may be the same vintage with that same backing plates, or even magnet

You are correct because I did order a new brake assembly and the bolt holes just do not lineup so I was thinking about going to a machine shops where they could perfectly align it up and drill or enlarge new holes but I think that’s a waste of money and new axles would exceed see the cost but I want to put into this camper but then again might be worth it.
1984 carriage.

Latest resources

Back