Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Badgeorgiaboy

RVF Regular
I really need some help. I have a 1984 Revcon. When the GMC motorhomes went out of business it was replaced with the Revcon.It is a Chevrolet 454 Front Wheel Drive.

I am trying to find the do piston calipers for the front disc brakes can anyone please help me? I can’t locate them anywhere please help me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
I believe the original GMC motorhome was based on the Oldsmobile Toronado front-wheel-drive chassis. I’m guessing that Revcon may have continued to use that same chassis when they took over. Here’s a link to a place that appears to have a good stock of Toronado parts. You might try contacting them. Photos of the parts you are wanting to replace might help them find the right part for you.

The GMC/Revcon motorhome was an interesting concept and far ahead of its time. At one point, I really wanted one of those coaches, but never did buy one. Good luck in your parts search.

TJ

Thanks I called them they’re no longer in the break Business. They have engines and transmissions this one is it the tornado engine this one was switched to a 454 Chevy engine but nevertheless I appreciate the information but they could not help me

I think @DHudson, who is a member here and is restoring a Dutch Star, is also a NAPA auto parts dealer. Maybe he can make a suggestion as to where brake calipers for your Revcon might be available. Hope he sees this and responds.

TJ

Hey I really appreciate your help I sent him some pictures and a message for Help thank you so much.

I would almost bet that Revcon used a brake system from a very popular 1 ton truck from 1984. It would cost too much to create a brake system from scratch. I'd bet that if you looked at the brake calipers from a 1884 Chevy 3500 pickup they would be the same.

*EDIT* I went to www.rockauto.com to look at 1984 Chevy Brake calipers. Even the 1 ton C30 with a big block only had a single caliper. But look at the 1984 Chevy BUS!!! The bus used a dual piston caliper brake set up. It looks very similar to your pic. I'd go to a local Napa Auto parts store and see how close it is.

Last edited:
I would almost bet that Revcon used a brake system from a very popular 1 ton truck from 1984. It would cost too much to create a brake system from scratch. I'd bet that if you looked at the brake calipers from a 1884 Chevy 3500 pickup they would be the same.
Thanks I’ll try that

“1884” Chevy trucks are pretty rare and there may not be parts available. :ROFLMAO: Sorry, couldn’t resist; I know it was a typo.

I think that’s a good thought. My only reservation would be that I think the Revcon was FWD on the Toronado-type chassis like the original GMC unit while the 1988 Chevy 3500 was either RWD or 4WD. I suppose the 4WD brake units might be the same.

In concept, you are absolutely right, motorhome manufacturers don’t reinvent the wheel; they use parts from contemporary cars and trucks.

TJ

“1884” Chevy trucks are pretty rare and there may not be parts available. :ROFLMAO: Sorry, couldn’t resist; I know it was a typo.

I think that’s a good thought. My only reservation would be that I think the Revcon was FWD on the Toronado-type chassis like the original GMC unit while the 1988 Chevy 3500 was either RWD or 4WD. I suppose the 4WD brake units might be the same.

In concept, you are absolutely right, motorhome manufacturers don’t reinvent the wheel; they use parts from contemporary cars and trucks.

TJ
Ha! Ya got me. It should be 1984 not 1884. ;)

My dad had one of those Olds Toronados with the 455 FWD. That car could do a front wheel burn out across a parking lot like nothing you've ever seen! I believe they stopped building the front wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado's in the early 1970's so although they may have been using the FWD engine/transmission/trans-axle for the motorhome in 1984 I'd bet the brakes would have been updated because the 1980's brakes were MUCH better than the early 70's brakes were. Look at the bus brakes. They are dual piston calipers like his picture shows.

Latest resources

Back