Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Walter Simpson

RVF Newbee
Hello Everyone, we are new to the discussion group. We are trying to leave on Monday from Buffalo NY for a three week trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA, but a problem has popped up. We have a 1999 Chevy Roadtrek 20-foot long "Popular" model. It has the 350 cubic inch Chevy engine it in. The vehicle has about 110,000 miles on it. When we start and press on the gas pedal often there is no power for as long as five seconds despite feathering the gas pedal. This can happen when the engine is cold or warm, though more likely when the engine is cold. It also has happened when we are at speed and have tried to accelerate onto an on-ramp or onto a mountain road and found it flatlining. Needless to say, this is a dangerous situation and not the kind of RT anyone would want to take into the mountains. Does this problem ring a bell? If so, how have you fixed it? Thanks!

Walter Simpson
Buffalo, NY

Any DTC trouble codes or check engine lights? Does the engine rev when pressing the gas pedal but with no acceleration - would indicate transmission slippage until the internal line hydraulic pressure goes up. Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Rick

Any DTC trouble codes or check engine lights? Does the engine rev when pressing the gas pedal but with no acceleration - would indicate transmission slippage until the internal line hydraulic pressure goes up. Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Rick
Hi Rick, Thanks for your suggestions and questions! I will ask my mechanic (who has not been very helpful to date) check for codes. I will also double check the transmission fluid level but I think it is OK. There is no revving of the engine during these episodes. Walter

Walter

Walter,

This could go just about any automotive maintenance direction but I'd start with a complete tuneup. Fuel pump pressure check at the injection rail? I'd try an ignition module swap inside the distributor - maybe no spark advance for you or its delayed?

I think you likely have the Generation 2 "L31 350 cubic inch Chevy VORTEC" motor and I don't have much experience with that engine. I'm more of a Gen 3 person running a 159,000 mile, 1999 GMC Sierra "LM7" motor and 4L60E transmission swapped into my 1970 Chevy El Camino.

Rick

Walter,

This could go just about any automotive maintenance direction but I'd start with a complete tuneup. Fuel pump pressure check at the injection rail? I'd try an ignition module swap inside the distributor - maybe no spark advance for you or its delayed?

I think you likely have the Generation 2 "L31 350 cubic inch Chevy VORTEC" motor and I don't have much experience with that engine. I'm more of a Gen 3 person running a 159,000 mile, 1999 GMC Sierra "LM7" motor and 4L60E transmission swapped into my 1970 Chevy El Camino.

Rick
I took it to Firestone and one mechanic suggested it could be bad gas (from letting a full tank sit over the winter). He said try 93 octane for a tankful or two. I am trying it. See what happens, but It does seem too simple a solution. Walter

Walter

Hello Walter,

I completely agree with the Firestone mechanic - that is certainly one possibility. For any vehicle or piece of equipment that sits unused for long periods of time, I recommend the use of no ethanol fuel. If your state or locality allows it to be sold, buy it for these vehicles. Yes, its more expensive but worth it in these situations because of the aggravation of running E10 or maybe worse, the E15 fuel.

Rick

Latest resources

Back