Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450 hp Cummins
TOW/TOAD
3017 Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Got to Las Vegas last night. Stopped in Moriarty, NM for fuel. Burned a pretty full tank through the day. Before we left the soot load was 57%. Had to wait for fuel so I plugged in and was at 20%. We had been driving pretty hard all day, 70-72 mph, about 1800-1900 rpm. Fueled again at Kingmon, Az. We slowed down coming up 93 and went through several stop lights getting to LVM. Just plugged in and soot load is 48%. I think Rich is right, run it pretty hard as much as you can. I remember back in the eighties when I got in my first 6V92 Detroit, my boss said to slam the door on my hand before I took off. Drive it like you are mad and it will perform. It seems that may be the case on this dern DEF system.

Got to Las Vegas last night. Stopped in Moriarty, NM for fuel. Burned a pretty full tank through the day. Before we left the soot load was 57%. Had to wait for fuel so I plugged in and was at 20%. We had been driving pretty hard all day, 70-72 mph, about 1800-1900 rpm. Fueled again at Kingmon, Az. We slowed down coming up 93 and went through several stop lights getting to LVM. Just plugged in and soot load is 48%. I think Rich is right, run it pretty hard as much as you can. I remember back in the eighties when I got in my first 6V92 Detroit, my boss said to slam the door on my hand before I took off. Drive it like you are mad and it will perform. It seems that may be the case on this dern DEF system.
I had the same experience with Cat 3208 powered fire engines early in my career. They basically had to be at full throttle to get them to move. I like your descriptions of your findings. Depending on driving conditions and habits, it’s possible to never need a parked or forced regen. But note that soot is managed in the DPF, and DEF is used in the SCR to convert NOX to nitrogen and water vapor after the DPF. So two separate functions.

This is a nice diagram of the system: IMG_2847.jpeg
….from this document: https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/APTA_Presentation-Diesel-Aftertreatment-Systems.pdf

Rich, as soon as I posted I realized what my title said. This was all about DPF, not DEF. On a side note about DEF, smarted the trip at 64% of my DEF level. Finished up at 34%. I am going to visually verify the level and if it works fill with fresh DEF at the next fuel stop. I have a 2.5 gal. jug in the basement if I have a problem.

Rich, as soon as I posted I realized what my title said. This was all about DPF, not DEF. On a side note about DEF, smarted the trip at 64% of my DEF level. Finished up at 34%. I am going to visually verify the level and if it works fill with fresh DEF at the next fuel stop. I have a 2.5 gal. jug in the basement if I have a problem.
I thought that might be the case. Too many acronyms in the system! I get about 300 mpg on DEF - its a good stat to know for planning, especially if you use box DEF. I use it exclusively for a variety of reasons and I don’t like to buy more than I’ll need to complete and trip and leave the tank full.

Iffy, I would think. Just guessing, but I suspect the number of motorcoaches sold in a year is 5-10% of the number of class eight trucks. There are probably a half dozen models of glider kits out there for said class 8's. look at how many motor coaches you would need to consider for gliders.

Maybe we should rename one of the systems PIA. We could do survey on which one reaches the highest level of PIA the most often and rename it.

Maybe we should rename one of the systems PIA. We could do survey on which one reaches the highest level of PIA the most often and rename it.
I think that would work as an overall name for the entire jumbled mess of filters, sensors, and all the other myriad components. As in “ my PIA left me stranded - again!” And the diagram above should be labeled “2016 PIA System Architecture”. I like it - it fits.

BTW I just posted this in the Cummins forum (since we don’t have an emissions system forum…):

Latest resources

Back