RV Model
Dutch Star 3858
RV Length
38 ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
I need to know if I have a problem, or need a trickle charger.
My 2000 Dutch Star DP does NOT have a inverter. It has 2 chargers that I know keep the house batteries charged when plugged in.
It has been a couple of months since I started it and the chassis batteries were weak. The house batteries have stayed fully charged.
I tried to use the "boost" switch and it did nothing.
Wound up using jumper cables off the house batteries to the chassis batteries and fired right up.
Are the chargers supposed to charge the chassis batteries as well?
If they are, what do I look for for problems?
1) Wiring at the batteries, since that was cluster when I bought it.
2) The transfer switch
3) The solenoid by the transfer switch?
20201203_163450.jpg
transfer switchn.jpg

I don't have two chargers, I have an invertor/charger. But I have the same BIRD system that you do. Do you know if each of your chargers are dedicated to a different bank of batteries?
In the top right of your electrical bay you have the B.I.R.D. Area that consists of the BIRD itself and the big Isolator/Combiner relay. The way my BIRD system works is it samples the house bank and if it senses charging voltage (13.1+V ) for more than a minute, it activates the big Combiner relay so that both banks are charged.
On the big relay upper heavy lug should be your House bank cable, on the lower big lug is the Chassis bank.
I would unplug your shore cord. Take a multimeter and read from ground to the top lug and then to the lower lug. Write those V down and then go to the battery bay and measure across the House bank and then measure across the Chassis bank. The readings should match what you wrote down. Now plug back in your shore cord. Now measure the upper and lower lugs on the big relay. You should see charging voltage on the upper lug now. Being that you have 2 chargers, you may read different charging voltage on each lug (which means the combiner relay is in isolator mode).
You might need to go to iRV2 and ask Skip426 - he has a '99 DS and has the same charger setup.
It might also be worth asking Newmar CS for a diagram of the chargers and BIRD system and how they are connected. You just need your VIN and they'll help you. Skip might have the drawings.

Thank you. I need to go to that solenoid and make sure that cable for the basis batteries actually goes to the chassis batteries 1st. Since the batteries were just kinda there when I bought it and some cables / wire were not even hooked up.

You're welcome. Yeah, ask Skip.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back