Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CorinthWest

RVF Regular
Greetings all. It was suggested that I come here for a possible answer. I am obviously writing this out of desperation. Background: I purchased a 2004 Vacationer 37PCT (gas, W24 Workhorse with an 8.1) and have been fixing the myriad of issues with it (and there are a LOT). Aside from parts no longer being available since Monaco went out of business years ago, I am finding SOME technical information difficult to locate as well. Case in point, and the reason I subscribed to this website, the previous owner must have had an issue with the chassis disconnect switch. When I got the coach, the switch was completely missing, and was replaced by a bolt and nut (scavenged from the guts of the original disconnect switch internal parts). My guess is that the switch let them down at some point and this was their "fix" that never got "fixed". He didn't even bother to tape it up....geez. ANYWAY, there are 4 cables to the switch, one is the battery (obviously). I am assuming another large cable goes to the starter. I have the OEM schematics for the coach, but they are wrong (shows dual batteries and no disconnect). I know this is wrong because I can see the original switch in pictures of other Vacationers. It is located in the RF basement, to the right of the forward power distribution panel. Here is a picture I found of another coach with the identical switch setup. (2005 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37PCT for sale - I think it is the 8th or 9th picture from the end, black box next to red disconnect knob) I've replaced the switch, and it appears the cables will only reach in a certain way. But this ties the battery cable and the starter cable together on one side of the switch, and there is a slight parasitic drain on the connection (probably ECM/PCM/TCM). The remaining 2 cables (smaller) are tied together on the other side of the switch. I've called Monaco - no help. I've called 3 different ex-Monaco dealers, and they all act like I am from Mars. I'm trying to put this back the way it belongs (factory OEM), and I am looking for information (schematic?) on this particular switch. I have spent DAYS researching this, and I am REALLY frustrated. I need to know if the starter and battery cables go to one side of the switch (with the resulting slight parasitic drain), and the "other" 2 cables go to the other side. Is this how it is supposed to be? IE. the battery "disconnect" doesn't actually FULLY disconnect the chassis battery. However, this configuration would also lessen the load through the switch when starting since the battery and starter cables are "permanently" bonded to the same terminal on the disconnect switch. I can't believe I can't find anything on this, and no one seems to know the answer. I'm also including a picture of my "newly" installed replacement Chassis disconnect switch (yeah, i know - I should have used a marine switch instead of the cheap OEM replacement).

Any help would be VERY much appreciated. I'll add you to my Christmas Card list!

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Update: The way I have it connected now, I have a 10mA parasitic draw when the disconnect is "off", and 30mA when it is "on", which is within spec. However, the ignition in the coach is dead (dash is black and it won't crank) when the disconnect is "off". Starts normally when it is "on", as it should.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back