Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

knothead8826

RVF Regular
Anyone tow a 33 foot travel trailer (6200lbs) with a older (2006) Ford F-150? 5.4 liter, tow package 3.73 gear. Looking to buy a Jayco 284BHS. VIN says 9200 pounds. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Do you know what the tow rating is on your truck? Is it a 2WD, 4WD, long bed, reg.cab? What is the CCC (cargo carying capacity)? According to THIS SITE the tow rating could be anywhere from 2200 pounds to 9500 pounds. We need a lot more information to be much help. Also, always use the GVW rating of the trailer for calculations. The dry weight is a weight you will never tow it at.

Truck is 4wd super cab, 6.5 bed. Fords VIN research says 9200 lbs. Looking for real world experience. Family really likes this travel trailer, just don’t want to be stuck with a trailer I can’t tow! Thanks!!

So, you're saying the trailer has a GVW of 6200 pounds and the truck has a 9200 pound tow rating? If that's the case you shouldn't have any issue since you are under 80% of the tow rating.

I think it depends on where you plan to tow. I don't have that setup, but I have a 2000 half ton pickup, only towing a 4500lb trailer, plus gear. Local I have no problems. Crossing the Sierra though, I struggled Westbound up the steep grade on Hwy 120 from Hwy 395, heading into Yosemite. My theoretical max towing weight rating is close to what you have. But after that experience, I would never try it with a heavier rig. Your 2006 may have a stronger engine and better gearing so your experience may be different. Since my future plans include a bigger trailer, I am planning to get a 3/4 ton truck so I don't have issues crossing mountain passes. If you mostly plan flatter trips, I think you're fine! Good luck!

Your truck may be able to pull it but it will take a very long time to get up to safe freeway merging speeds and forget about passing a tractor rig pulling doubles up going 20 mph up a grade. One thing if you plan to tow it to a location and then stay there for the duration or if you want to go to multiple places on your travels. Longer trailers also means having to decide which RV park to stay at as anything over 30 feet is not going to fit in most public campground campsites even if one of the longer spaces happens to be available.
For a specific model trailer you will find more information on the various Jayco owners forums where you can also learn about any deficiencies that are not going to be disclosed by the sales person on the dealer's lot.

What is your payload rating then estimate heavy how much payload you plan to carry on a trip.

Latest resources

Back