Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Les G.

RVF Newbee
Hello all, new member here. I hope someone can shed some light on this issue. I have a 2011 Sunova 37L. Ford F53 chassis, 6.8 Triton V10 power train. Here's my issue. I store my motorhome at my brother in law's home during the winter as he has the space available outdoors. When I drove it to his house this past December, everything was fine. I place it on the leveling jacks just enough to take the weight off of the tires and suspension and removed the coach and house batteries. All fluids were topped off and gas stabilizer was added to the fuel.
This past Sunday I wanted to bring it home so I could get it ready for the coming season. I reinstalled the fully charged coach and house batteries. When I started the engine there was a pronounced knocking noise in the top of the engine and it seemed to be down on power. None of this was happening when I took it to his house last December. I decided to take it directly to the dealership we purchased it from last November as they are just minutes from my home. While driving I could tell the engine was not firing on all cylinders and my brother in law, who was following me, said he noticed some black smoke from the tail pipe, which would indicate un-burnt fuel. The knocking noise would diminish somewhat with an increase in RPM. My initial thought was that perhaps some mice or other rodents had gotten on top of the engine and chewed fuel injector or coil pack wires but I didn't have the tools needed to remove the interior engine cover. When we arrived at the dealership I noticed some oil dripping from the engine. I crawled under the motor home to see if I could determine where the oil was coming from and it appeared to be leaking from the top of the engine somewhere.

Today I did a YouTube search on the issue and found a video in which a knocking noise is sometimes caused by a plastic baffle detaching from the inside of one of the valve covers. I could see that as being the cause of the noise but not the loss of power. Anyway, the dealership has it now and I'm awaiting their diagnosis. Has anyone experienced a similar issue with your V10 drive train and what was the cause?

Thank you.

Latest resources

Back