Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dmcb1

RVF Regular
I have a 2012 Tioga diesel. The slide outs have no power. I may have done when I forgot the table leg and the slide out hit it. I have searched the schematics and cannot find out where it gets its power and fuse. I am a bit trapped with the slide out out. I have contacted Fleetwood and got a wiring schematic but it doesn't show where it gets its power. I really need some help here. Thanks in advance.

You don't say what kind of mechanism for the slide. However, unless someone here has direct knowledge of your system, it won't matter. These motor draw heavy amps at times and usually are run thru a relay which is operated by your in and out switch. Somewhere between the battery and the relay is a large fuse. Many times these are out in the elements on TT's or 5th wheels. They are just boxes with 2 studs sticking up out of them and a wire in and out. Best to find someone with the ability to trace the wires and great if they know something about your specific rig....long shot there.

You don't say what kind of mechanism for the slide. However, unless someone here has direct knowledge of your system, it won't matter. These motor draw heavy amps at times and usually are run thru a relay which is operated by your in and out switch. Somewhere between the battery and the relay is a large fuse. Many times these are out in the elements on TT's or 5th wheels. They are just boxes with 2 studs sticking up out of them and a wire in and out. Best to find someone with the ability to trace the wires and great if they know something about your specific rig....long shot there.
Thank you. I found that fuse and it is good. Wasn't sure it was for the slideouts or not. You have confirmed that. I am wondering about the parking brake switch now. That and the need for 14 volts is the only thing left. Starting the engine gives me the 14 volts. As neither slide works that would seem to eliminate the relay. Wonder how that parking brake switch works. Would jumping it bypass or would it be a disconnect? The light on the dash shows when the brake is set but that may not be the same switch.

Might be the same switch, just a wire to a relay that energizes or allows the power to pass. 14 volts is high, a charged battery on float will be in the low 13's. Volts can be misleading. You can have a surface charge and no real current behind it. Have the batteries load tested. Next, test for power at the switches themselves.

14 volts is high but it says in the manual it needs that much to work. It says to start the engine or the genny before using the slides. My first motorhome was new in 1971. Age has us downsize from a 40' Allegro Bus to something smaller and easier. I have never seen anything like this before. I always do my own maintenance but this has me a bit perplexed. Thanks for the comeback. I do appreciate it. As I have removed to seats and replaced to recover them I may have done something to the switch. I did contact Fleetwood again but they were no help. You have told me more about the source of power than they did. I will get back to the switch tomorrow and see what I find. That seems to be the only direct connection to both slides that I can think of.
All batteries are new.

I am going to assume you have LiPo if 14 volts is called for. Still, that is a high charge(14.4) not a normal state. I don't see how you can get 14v out of a lead acid system that charges to the high 13's.

You can't. But it says start the engine before using the slides. I put a meter on the battery after starting the engine and it was 14.2 or 3. I never looked at the charger but I believe it is set at something over 14 volts so the genny would give it the same voltage. The charger at full battery charge wouldn't be charging at that rate but would as soon as you applied power to the slides it would. I didn't make the system and yes I think its goofy but it is what it is. I have had several motorhomes and a pickup camper with slides and I never had to do this but is says it needs 14 volts to work.

I will quote an article I recently read.
One of the worst myths about lead-acid batteries is that charging them slowly is good for them. Let's deal with that and then dig into how hard we can charge them.
In the first Ohm's Law chapter, we learned that, even with a powerful charging source, we generally won't blow up our batteries as long as we don't exceed the manufacturer's maximum recommended acceptance voltage—typically around 14.4 volts (12-volt system).
Why? Because lead-acid batteries self-limit current (amps) by raising their internal resistance—the harder we push them, the harder they push back.

I will quote an article I recently read.
One of the worst myths about lead-acid batteries is that charging them slowly is good for them. Let's deal with that and then dig into how hard we can charge them.
In the first Ohm's Law chapter, we learned that, even with a powerful charging source, we generally won't blow up our batteries as long as we don't exceed the manufacturer's maximum recommended acceptance voltage—typically around 14.4 volts (12-volt system).
Why? Because lead-acid batteries self-limit current (amps) by raising their internal resistance—the harder we push them, the harder they push back.
Well I checked the park brake switch and it seems OK. I can see where they tapped into the existing magnetic switch so there is no separate switch. The connection seems good and the on dash light shows parking brake on.
I have to thank The Looks for pointing out another obvious point I completely missed. The actual switch that controls the slides. I did check the switch holding it down and probing the connections. I got no response so it seems that is the problem. I cannot find where the two switches get their power. That is where I am at now. I am wondering if any of the fuses under the dash that seem to be used for a van body is where it gets it juice. It is very difficult to check those fuses. I did check some but not all. The wiring schematics I have shown nothing and Fleetwood isn't any help.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back