Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

2017 Rockwood 2604WS or 2019 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

SJBaily

RVF Regular
We are buying our first trailer. These two are on our radar right now. 2017 Rockwood 2604WS and a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS.
Similar length, 29 feet, similar price, around $20K.
Jayco has no carpet which is nice, but also no fully separate bedroom wall, just half wall and curtain, small couch and seating area, but it has an outdoor kitchen and larger fresh water tank.
Rockwood has better layout, three seating areas, separate bedroom, two entry/exit doors, but carpet in bedroom, 600 lbs heavier, smaller freshwater. It has backup camera and RV GPS.
Resale, probably Jayco is better as it is all gray and black and newer feeling. Still smells new. :)
Rockwood maybe more comfy for us to live in and work on the road for months at a time, which is what we want to do. Also has attachable outside grill. Dated looking but solid.
If we disregard ever making money back on it, and maybe think about pulling up bedroom carpet, I guess we are leaning toward Rockwood, but no outside kitchen and smaller freshwater is unnerving.
Oh, there is also a 2021 Grey Wolf 23MK, same size, same price but 5 hours away. We sat in one nearby, and it felt cheaper inside and not as solidly made as the other two. Has only fridge outside, no grill. Has fireplace, but fear it is just a "shiny object" that we would regret.
Anyone have any definitive thoughts. Much appreciated. Best wishes and happy travels to all.

Attachments

• 2017_ForestRiver_RockwoodUltraLite_2604WS.jpg
    2017_ForestRiver_RockwoodUltraLite_2604WS.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 8
  • 2018_Jayco_JayFlight_24RBS.jpg
    2018_Jayco_JayFlight_24RBS.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021_ForestRiver_GreyWolf_23MK.jpg
    2021_ForestRiver_GreyWolf_23MK.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
Everyone's taste is a bit different. Just for our liking, we don't think having a grill attached to the outside is a plus. We travel with a small portable grill. We like to have the flame, heat and splatter a bit farther away from our MH than right on the wall. Maybe I am not that good a cook but it seems cleaner.
Good luck hunting for the right one for you.
Holler if we can help.
Ken

Everyone's taste is a bit different. Just for our liking, we don't think having a grill attached to the outside is a plus. We travel with a small portable grill. We like to have the flame, heat and splatter a bit farther away from our MH than right on the wall. Maybe I am not that good a cook but it seems cleaner.
Good luck hunting for the right one for you.
Holler if we can help.
Ken
thanks

IMO the most important considerations for extended living are: lounging comfort, kitchen counter top space, closet space and maybe bed length. The Rockwood swivel recliners will be much more comfortable than a couch. The Rockwood has more counter top space and the closet in a slide out will hold much more than the other two trailers. Downside on Rockwood is the 74" length bed. Not a problem if one is under 5'10".
IMO outside kitchens take up valuable inside storage. The Rockwood outside grill is nice. Hooks into the trailer's propane system (no need for extra propane tank) and it will not dirty or burn trailer exterior. (I have one). Both are frills, not really needed and easily substituted.

The larger fresh water tank is not a consideration unless you plan to boondock. Do any of the trailers have 50amp service and two air conditioners or 30 amp and a single A/C? 30 amp really restricts number of electrical implements that can be used at same time.

I would go back through the trailers and look at every aspect of how you will utilize the tailer features. There is always a compromise in a RV but one of these will fit you better.

Good luck on your decision.

IMO the most important considerations for extended living are: lounging comfort, kitchen counter top space, closet space and maybe bed length. The Rockwood swivel recliners will be much more comfortable than a couch. The Rockwood has more counter top space and the closet in a slide out will hold much more than the other two trailers. Downside on Rockwood is the 74" length bed. Not a problem if one is under 5'10".
IMO outside kitchens take up valuable inside storage. The Rockwood outside grill is nice. Hooks into the trailer's propane system (no need for extra propane tank) and it will not dirty or burn trailer exterior. (I have one). Both are frills, not really needed and easily substituted.

The larger fresh water tank is not a consideration unless you plan to boondock. Do any of the trailers have 50amp service and two air conditioners or 30 amp and a single A/C? 30 amp really restricts number of electrical implements that can be used at same time.

I would go back through the trailers and look at every aspect of how you will utilize the tailer features. There is always a compromise in a RV but one of these will fit you better.

Good luck on your decision.
THANK YOU, RFSims. That was a very helpful response. We would like to Boondock, but have been practicing taking 5 min. showers. :) And we would probably only do that for two days. I will check on the amp stuff. Good point.
By any chance do you know if a bunch more used trailers come on the market after July 4th? Someone said that was so, but would hate to wait and then possibly lose the Rockwood.

Latest resources

Back